Swap fingerboard?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by PeaveyPlayer, Dec 15, 2017.

1. PeaveyPlayer

PeaveyPlayer Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    I have a yamaha rbx765A with a rosewood fingerboard and I'm wanting to put an ebony one on instead

Does anyone have experience with this?

2. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    That's about $300 for the whole bass in the used market.

I suggest instead that you buy a bass with ebony if your heart is set on it.

3. EpicSoundtracks

EpicSoundtracks

Mar 10, 2006
    Oakland, CA
    Lollar Pickups, Dunlop Strings
    use an iron and a knife to remove the old board, glue and clamp the new board on. But as Charlie says above, this is some pretty high-concept turd polishing. Can you even source a fretted ebony board to fit this model? Swapping the neck would make more sense, or, as Charlie also says, swap out the whole bass for something else.

jamro217, Axstar and sissy kathy like this.
  4. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

If the reason you want an ebony board is for the black shade...
    just stain your rosewood board

5. ++1 - You can even do this yourself.
    There are black stain markers by Minwax that work.

jamro217, Axstar and Killed_by_Death like this.
  6. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    Instant Ebony:

Z2o9JzqcpIx_.jpg

Fun Size Nick, dxb and chinjazz like this.
  7. I’ve never tried that... have a few doubts on it going down evenly :)

Axstar likes this.
  8. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    I've found that black Sharpie ink tends to turn purple for whatever reason.

9. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Sharpie dries to charcoal grey, not good looking at all.

10. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    :laugh: :roflmao: :laugh: Spalted Purple Ebony! :woot: There Ya Go! :bassist: The More Streaks The Better :hyper:

Axstar likes this.
  11. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician
    Sure, replace that board. Remove the old one. Then slot the new board for frets, even before you radius it. Then glue the board onto the neck. When the glue is dry, radius the board, rough sand then finish sand it. I like to put a light sealer on ebony but you might want to skip that.. Then install the frets - I recommend gluing them in. Cut the frets to length and grind the end bevels to roughly finished stated. Then you can proceed to level the frets, recrown, then finish the fret ends. You'll need to recut the nut, or more likely replace it since it's likely to be too low with the new frets. String it up and you're done.

Oh, I skipped a few of the more obvious steps, like sizing the board to the neck, but you'll figure it out.

12. dxb

dxb

Dec 25, 2016
    Those are great for touching up dings on black painted headstocks, though they'll probably just make a mess of a fretboard. But hey at least your bass will have that sharpie smell afterward. :)

Axstar likes this.
  13. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
  14. I’ve got, like an hour before we go to dinner. I’m on it!

15. Fun Size Nick

Fun Size Nick

Feb 21, 2006
    Hong Kong
    Unless you're doing this primarily in order to learn all of the skills that Turnaround listed (and more)...please just sell the bass and buy one with an ebony board.

jamro217 and el jeffe bass like this.
  16. PeaveyPlayer

Jul 15, 2014
    Winnipeg, Manitoba

I’m still kind of interested in this

The only reason I wanted to do this because I wasn’t a fan of the rosewood

But also because

In this video he changed his trb fingerboard to maple

17. Fun Size Nick

Fun Size Nick

Feb 21, 2006
    Hong Kong
    It looks amazing. Be aware though that the bassist did not change the fingerboard himself, the work was done by Martin Peterson, a professional with years of experience in building custom instruments...more of his work can be seen on this thread.

I don't say this to discourage you from learning the skills to do the project, but just know that what you want to do does require a lot of skills to be learned and perfected...I'd bet even Martin Peterson's first fingerboard installation was more valuable for the learning process than it was for the actual end result! :laugh:

PeaveyPlayer likes this.
  18. If you do this yourself and this is your first attempt, you will probably THROW away this neck and buy a new one. i've been wrong before. prove me wrong!

19. PeaveyPlayer

Jul 15, 2014
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    I’m thinking of sending it away for this to be done

20. PeaveyPlayer

Jul 15, 2014
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    I’d definitely send it out

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 19, 2022