Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sweet Child O Mine : what notes can I use?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by kiwlm, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Ok, right when I was trying to improvise on the intro to evergreen Sweet Child O Mine song, tried to figure out the chords, and also the notes in the chords that I can use.

And right away, I remembered reading some thread about it here in TB.

While the thread is one year old, 8 pages long, and closed. I still did not get the answer that I wanted from there.

What notes (besides 1-3-5) can I use to play over the Intro Chord Progression for Sweet Child O Mine?

I guess lots of the experts will answer saying that "play what is in your head, if you think first of the notes options, you are doomed!", but I am just a novice bassist, and everyone starts with knowing which notes we can use!

if you find the question too hard to answer, then it will be great help to show me a couple of licks that you would play over the chord progressions! Prefably showing "the key doesn't matter, look at the chords", or "there, told you the key is ..."

2. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Try learning the guitar melodt intro, if it's the same as the GNR version then it's made up of one scale over the changes.

3. You could improv over the bass solo that is at the beginning of the song. Just know the notes used and play something similar to it!

4. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I think Duff used a lot of blues and pentatonic scale fills.

5. Err.. is there another version than the GNR Version?? :confused:

Yeah, learned the guitar intro, a good practice routine!

Well, I know that the chords goes like this
    C# B F# and they are all majors.

The guitar intro, seems to use the C# Major scales.

While the bass riff, uses C# Major, B Major and F# Major scales. Except where it uses lydian modes of the F# Major scale.

That's all that I can analyze out of the song, guess it will take a lot of playing to see what note fits and what don't.

6. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    kiwlm, when you said :

..I though it was some refernce to a version by another band. My mistake

Well, that sounds like plenty of options to me.. I'd stick well within F# and be done with it, it's a rock song afterall :)

cheers
    H

7. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    The cool thing about the Sweet Child bassline is Duff's use of 4ths on the 3rd beat. Often times, 4ths sound strange on downbeats, but they sound great in that tune.