1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Switch popping noise, I found a way to fix it

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gimmeagig, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Hi,
    I am relatively new to the world of pedal boards. I put one together that works really well for me.
    This is the order I had them in.
    EBS Multi comp.Mooer Tender Octaver.Boss CEB-3 bass chorus,TC Flashback and HOF
    There was a problem with the Mooer Octaver.
    The on off switch made a super loud popping sound.Totally unusable on a gig.
    I pulled the pedal out of the board and used it on it's own and the switch was completely silent.
    So I ended up changing the order of the pedals and sure enough that fixed it. I'm so glad because the Mooer octaver is a pedal that sounds reallly great.
    Now I have a pedal order that may be a bit strange. I arranged them in this order because of the input and output locations of the different pedals.The way I have it, the pedals fit on the board perfectly. The compressor is now in the middle, but I think it's still OK.I don't notice anything strange when I use the pedals in this combination.
    Mooer Octaver,TC Flashback, EBS Multicomp,Boss Chorus and TC HOF.

2. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Hello. With all due respect... :)

What you described was not a technical fix, but behavioral modification. You didn't fix the bug that was a by-product of the relationship of the two given pedals in that one order; rather you obviated the bug by changing the order.

Nonetheless, congratulations on discovering a new signal chain order that you like!

3. Dude you sound like Bill O'Reilley...Obloviating (isn't that the word he likes?)....LOL

The reason I posted this was not to pointlessly argue with somebody over semantics.
    I thought my Mooer pedal was broken or maybe it's just a cheap pedal from china and I almost took it out of the pedalboard to make room for a replacement. But that pedal sounds really good and I hated to lose it.
    So this post is for people who might have a similar issue with their effects. I was not aware that the order of effects could eliminate the popping. But apparently it can.
    And that could be helpful to someone who , like me, is not an electronics wizard.

Maureen M likes this.
  4. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Um...obloviating isn't a word. ;)

IIRC Bill Oh-Really? likes the word 'bloviating.' I suspect he tihinks it makes him sound posh. Per Webster: bloviate = to speak or write verbosely and windily; ex: pundits bloviating on the radio. (And Mr. Bill should know all about that.)

Whereas 'obviate' = to remove. (A little pretentious a usage to be sure, but there you have it.) :laugh:

5. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Haha! Even though I don't know who Bill O'Reilley is, I like "obloviating". :D

6. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Never found Mr Bill to be verbose. Part of the beauty of choosing the correct word is avoiding the use of 27 others to describe the one you search for.

40Hz likes this.
  7. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I like it when people use words I don't know. Makes me look it up and broaden my vocabulary.

8. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Agree about the right word choice and brevity. No comment on Mr. Bill beyond what little I already said due to the ban on potentially politically charged discussions here. ;)

9. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    3D845308-FB23-4D9C-8315-5D6D4579C789-930-000000BA1966625C.

10. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Me too! I've got a library quality edition of the big Websters on a stand in my den. It gets used regularly. And many people in my family and among my friends have discovered the pleasures of browsing through it when they're here.

A dictionary was one of my favorite books when I was very young. Webster's or the OED is always an intellectual oasis for me, along with Roget's Thesaurus, Rodale's Synonym Finder, the big National Geographic World Atlas, and the most recent edition of the CIA's The World Fact Book. Noble tools all of them. Right up there with firemans' helmets.

jbybj likes this.
  11. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Clearly you disagree with his point of view, but there is no reason that you can't attempt to defend your mischaracterization of his style.

12. BassFishingInAmerica

BassFishingInAmerica

Jul 24, 2014
    Don't sweat it ... I started a thread about 70s Fenders, and it ended with a discussion on cars and polyester pants. That's TalkBass.

13. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

It has a funny way of revealing its actual demographic that way.

14. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Yeah. You've noticed that too huh? :laugh::thumbsup:

15. Ha this is funny. I think my thread just got obloviated into oblivion and now nobody is going to even remember why I started it in the first place. thats OK. I learned some new words.

16. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I think a lot of us get it. The popping thing is not new to most that frequent the effects forums here. It's something we've all learned to either deal with or fix. It's also possible that in your case, its just static electricity build up. Did you try stomping the foot switch a handful of times to see if the pop would lessen or dissipate all together?? A lot of times that'll do it. Some try DC fliters like the one Lehle makes. Others simply sell the pedal and move on to something else because sometimes, some pedals just dont like to play nice with others. This is also why some like to have good buffers in their chains. You get too many true bypass pedals in your chain it could cause problems.

Just some food for thought. You may like having your delay in the middle of your board. I couldn't do it. It would cause too much runaway delay. But hey, that could work for some! But I know for me, i wouldn't let a pedal popping dictate my pedal order. I've always been lucky where I found ways around "the pop". Maybe look into a good buffer. It could even be your power supply.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  17. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland
    I had a bit too much fun over there.

As for the pop, it could be eliminated by placing a resistor between the hot and ground lugs on the switch. Beyond that I'm not sure. Work out which pedal Mooer cloned and buy one of those instead. :bassist:

18. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    'Popping' was there, from the start?

19. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland
    The issue might not be the Moore pedal at all, but the pedal that was after it in the chain. Apparently a Boss pedal can cause a true bypass pedal placed before it to pop, as they don't have a pull-down resistor at the start of the circuit. It might not be true, as I don't know what I'm talking about.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  20. I changed the order and the popping is still gone.
    Now its
    Moeer octaver, EBS Multi comp , Boss Chorus, TC Flashback and TC HOF Reverb
    I guess the Mooer Octaver did not like to be after the compressor.
    So this seems to work and I will not mess a real electronics fix on the Mooer I don't know how to solder on small electronics like this. Paying my repair guy to do it would cost me more than the pedal.
    I tried to find which pedal the Moeer tender octaver is modeled after, but I could not find anything.