1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Switchable Internal pick up jacks?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by chinjazz, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Does anyone know of some sort of internal cavity jacks (2 per pickup), that would allow the player to un-plug a pick up and put in a different one?

I've seen some pics posted where they switch out a P style pick up in the neck position for a J pickup,
    Usually hiding the extended body routing via different pick guards.

I'm looking really to switch out same sized Jazz type pickups occasionally without soldering.

To me it seems like an easy electrical problem to solve with 2 wires per pickup.

Thanks!

2. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
  3. Very cool!

I take it you may have done this before :)

So it looks like these pins and sockets go into the Deans which is the path on to the pre or control points.

I have to look at these pics a bit closer when I get home. Happen to have any pics of a control cavity you may have done already?

Thanks a bunch Testing1two!

4. Actually, I realized that the Acme solution is complete, just didn't show the socket part. Which of these do you find more durable or error prone?

5. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    Well, they're both pretty small so you have some sort of small vice to hold them while you solder. And you need to solder quickly so you don't accidentally melt the plastic housing. Color coded heat shrink tubing is a must so you don't accidentally plug things in backwards. Otherwise it's a piece of cake.

I actually haven't used these on a bass yet. I primarily used them for swapping pre-wired Strat guitar pickguards. However, the principle is the same. My next bass will utilize this feature though. I plan on having a universal neck pickup route that can accommodate a jazz pickup, P-pickup, or reverse P. Then it's just a matter of swapping pickups & pickguards.

6. Very cool. I'd like to hear how your next bass comes out! I was thinking of doing a PJ to J bass, but I have no routing skills.
    I go easy on my bass projects, and stick to mainly some assembly, set up and various electronic configs.

I emailed George at acme to see a pic of the socket end. Thanks for the insight on your experience!