switching from tapered E to regular...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by iceblinko, Dec 18, 2004.

1. iceblinko

Jul 15, 2003
    hey all. i just changed string brands, and my old brand had a tapered E string while my new brand is standard. i lowered the bridge saddle to make it even with the other strings, however, it still feels kind of strange... stiff even. and i can't get it to feel "even" with the other strings. is there anything else i need to do? lower the action more? how about intonation? it "sounds" fine, but i know nothing about set up tech stuff. i just know how to play :bassist:

so for all you techs (or anyone who knows about this stuff), what is the basic procedure about switching from a tapered to a standard string. or am i just making a big deal out of nothing? hehe. good day all...
  2. iceblinko

Jul 15, 2003
  3. Iceman, that's just going to be the characteristic of that set of strings. There isn't anything you can do about the perceived tension of the string with the adjustments on the bass.

It is what it is.

And you need to get on the wagon with the rest of the players that like tight feeling strings. The ubiquitous "floppy B" abounds and most guys would kill to get something tight under their thumbs.
  4. ksukev

Aug 24, 2004
    You'll definately need to adjust your intonation, brotha. Your saddle should move back (away from the neck) with a standard string from where it is now (with tapered). That is, unless it was originally set-up with a standard string (with same gauge) and no one adjusted intonation when the tapers were installed. If that's the case I figured you'd notice an intonation problem with the tapers. Do a search on intonation in the forums and I believe this topic is mentioned. Good luck!