1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Swollen Pickle opinion

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Blu bro, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Blu bro

Blu bro

Mar 1, 2012
    Aus
    hey guys,
    Ive heard alot of people mention that the Way huge Swollen Pickle is pretty average until you adjust the trim pots inside. I am a swollen pickl owner and am quiet a fan, but was wondering how people tweak the inside pots to get the "good" sound out of this pedal?

i know this is a preferance thing. But just interested..

2. G3Mitch

G3Mitch

Feb 8, 2011
    New Zealand
    i tweaked mine when i first got it, and haven't touched them since. Awesome fuzz, but yeah, those internal pots need to be messed with!! try a bunch of different settings and write everything down, knob positions, what you liked about that particular setting. I did this and it really helped. The only knobs i tamper with are the sustain and tone knobs, depending on the room etc. good luck

3. Blu bro

Blu bro

Mar 1, 2012
    Aus
    yeh thanks. I actually double this pedal with my XXL tech 21 pedal. That way i get the thick low end fuzz (with Swollen Pickle) and boost the highs and adds a bit more grind (with my XXL).

Just interested in peoples opinions in how they use the pedal.

4. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    Voice: 12:30
    Clip: 7:00-8:00

5. I quite enjoy the pedal... Particularly with my Phase 90. As funky as I need it!.

I find the pedal sounds good right off the bat, maybe some tweaking does help though. I'm pretty sure I brought both pots clockwise a fair distance; I'm too lazy to check, sorry.

6. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 GAS resistance is utterly futile... Supporting Member

+ 1

It sounds great with mine as well, when placed before the phaser in my chain. Also plays well with the chorus, but absolutely killd with the octave setting on the BSW. Tried the SP after phaser and chorus, but barely felt the effects. I find the SP sounds a little better with my rig with the limiter off.

I'm still playing with different settings and for now have the clip @ 9 and the voice maxed. Will give a shot to Vegas' settings.

7. Yes the SP needs the internal settings tweaked. There are two great threads here on TB discussing lots of different internal settings, including the ones suggested by Dunlop (which kind of suck... I'd try what Vegas suggested as a start). Try to get the search engine to cough them up, which is more difficult then should be. A fuzzy search feature would be great. Maybe instead of searching for "SP" or Swollen Pickle search for the actual settings: "Voice:" and "Clip:". If you can set the case-insensitive switch on your search even better. But some posters may have used "Voice-" or some other separator character.

Still the SP I found to be ultimately limited: lots of bass, but very hard to get any punch or cut out of it. I'm using mine in the FX loop of my Qtron+ where it's bassiness is put to best use, and the Qtron itself is providing plenty of cut and punch.

8. G3Mitch

G3Mitch

Feb 8, 2011
    New Zealand
    funny you say that... lately i have been using that exact combo.. SP + BSW octave, and your right it really is great. So great that infact, i'm RE purchasing a MicroPog, and am really wanting to keep the BSW on the board aswell and i'm afraid there's not going to be room.

9. Bassmike62

Man, that Pog and Pickle combo has gotta be like smoked meat and rye bread ... add the Phase 90 and you've got mustard to boot ! Sometimes, I wish I was back with a PT Pro... nah, can't go back...... can't. Please let us know how that's turning out

:)

10. G3Mitch

G3Mitch

Feb 8, 2011
    New Zealand
    Well the reason I want to keep the BSW on board as an octaver is so that i can use it with the fuzz as a just -1 octave, i have a feeling the micro's octave up might cause the high end of the Pickle to be a little much. we'll see. I have used the Pickle with my Hog and it was pretty great. Going with the Micro purely for space saving and simplicity lol.

11. Bassmike62

Yup, they work well for me with loudness at 8, filter at 4, sustain 4 or maxed, scoop at 3 and crunch at noon.

thx