SWR 750x... something wrong?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by used13, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Sorry so long, kinda running into a wall here...

Ok, here's the deal. I recently decided to revamp my rig. I'm running a Mo'Bass through a Goliath III 8 ohm, and I decided to get another head and second Cab to go with it. ( The poor old Mo' sounds like a million bucks, but I've had just about enough of her scratchy pots and all the reliability issues... )

I headed to a store that said they had a killer deal on a new 750x and another Goliath III for me. I had been looking into the 750x for a while ( I'm a sucker for the SWR overdrive sound from my Mo' ), read all the reviews I could and decided that it was worth the plunge. I ran to the store, grabbed up the 750x and a Goliath III and headed off to practice. I know, by now I should know better than to buy something without trying it first, but hey a million reviews can't be wrong, right?

So, I get back to practice with the guys, hook it all up, and low and behold it sounds like crap. I spent about an hour holding up everything trying to dial it in and it wouldn't get close to anything passable. There were 2 major problems...

1.) It was muddy with NO definition and LOW volume output.
    2.) There was a strange "blooming" effect going on with the notes. I would pluck the string, the note would start out quiet and then swell in volume.

I tried it with one and then both Cabs... same problem. I tried messing with the Gain, Limit and Master. I run a Bartolini Pre at 18v so I thought it might be pushing "hot". While doing different things with these all did different things to the sound, it never seemed to want to dial in at all. I unplugged it, plugged in the Mo Bass and both cabs and man it sounded great, so I know the Cab wasn't the problem... I also run the mo with wide open gain and little Limit and it doesnt have any problem with the input signal.

So, I took it back. But, I keep reading about folks who seem to love this head. Was I doing something wrong ? Maybe the amp was a lemon, and that's why they came across with the great deal ? Maybe my Bart OBP is pushing too hot and it's somehow messing with the imput signal so that I cant turn up enoug to get a good sound ( even tho the Mo' doesn't have any trouble, is there something about the 750x that doesnt like this setup? )... I just don't know.

I really hate to say it, but The difference between that 750x and the Mo' was like night and day. In all honesty, all I use the Mo' for now is the preamp and the overdrive, so I thought switching to the 750x would be like swaping for a more reliable, lighter weight and less complicated version of the things I love from the Mo. It still seems to be the consensus, maybe I just had a bad egg and I need to try another?

Any suggestions or ideas on what might have gone wrong or something I might have missed? Anyone have the same experience? I'm thinking of going around to some more stores and trying a few different 750x's out and see what happens, but unfortunately not alot of folks around me have a 750x and 2 goliath III cabs for me to test run ( Much less a megoliath, which is what I really want ). Real test drives require a pretty long haul from home.

Just wondering if anyone had some helpful input...

P.S. Oh, and any of you folks drooling to tell me to get "Anything but an SWR, Dude, because SWR is the suck and "Brand X" is teh win !!!", please don't waste your breath. I'm one of those guys that will actually tell you I like the SWR sound more than anything else I've tried.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.
  2. ZonPlyr

Apr 29, 2003
    Pasadena, CA
    No idea if this helps or not or even if it's applicable. I had kind of the same problem trying to run a 750x through 2 g-3's. Not much volume and muddy. I removed the 2 g-3's and tried it through just 1 and it sounded amazing. Then i tried it through a megoliath and it sounded great. It doesn't make any sense at all but that was my experience with it.
  3. I put a NOS RCA Blackplate 12AX7 tube in the preamp section of my SWR 350X and it is anything but muddy. I also use a 7 band EQ and love the sound I get. To me the SWR 350X is a bit flat sounding by itself but with EQ it burst with tone. I love the Aural Enhancer on this amp and the ability to blend the EQ and the raw signal together. My EQ is hooked into the Effects loop on the back. I put the 10KHZ band down to zero and it gets rid of most of my horns hiss without effecting the tone to any significant degree.
  4. chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Hope this helps. Try it flat and eq. from your bass only. Turn your tweets down to 12 or 16 on their dial. Pre to 11:00 and Master to 9:00 on up. All tones flat aural enhancer straight up limiter at 10:00. I have an 18v pre and you have to let it shine through. On my bass treble and bass are all the way up and then adjusted to taste. It roars with one G3 and is all that with two. Saw Bobby Vega with your rig with Tower of Power (while Rocco was recuperating)and a Fender bass which doesn't drive this rig very hard.
  5. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    i would guess that there was something wrong with the amp- i've had a bass 350 (same pre-amp design as the 750x, without the x stuff) and a currently have a sm500 running into a g3 and an sob, and neither amp has ever done that
    "blooming" thing, and i'd have to try really hard to get a muddy, no definition sound out of them. as long as you're sure it wasn't your axe/battery, then i'd guess the amp was bad... :bassist:
  6. Shawnost

Shawnost It's all about the Hamiltons baby! Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    Quick thought, where was the "Effects Blend" knob set at? I have a 750x and 2 Goliath III's and have noticed a low, farty, undefined sound when this knob is set past 9:00 and my effects are not powered up. On the blooming issue...I have no idea :(

7. I run a 750x through a Son of Bertha and Goliath III with no problems at all. Change the tube and see if it has any effect. My 750x made some very out of the ordinary noises when the tube went bad. And if it turns out not to be the tube then you will have a spare tube...20 bucks for a tube isn't a problem right? And if it isn't the tube then I'd say it was a bad egg. How much did you pay for this thing anyway?