1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SWR Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DMBassNVox, Apr 25, 2009.

1. DMBassNVox

DMBassNVox

Apr 25, 2009
    Norfolk, VA
    Hi! I am new, and i was wondering which cabinet is better, the SWR Henry 8x8 or the SWR Goliath Senior? money isnt too much of an option, i have a decent amount at my disposal, or at least enough to get either cab with a WorkingPro 400 head, which is what im going to do. they are going to be used for a heavy metal band, if that helps any

2. gregwatts2008

gregwatts2008 Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Jupiter, Florida
    The SWR 6x10 is an awesome cab. You would probably want to consider upping the power. You don't want to underpower the drivers. I play mine with a GK 2001RB and my tone is incredible. Neither cab that you mentioned is "better", but you need the appropriate power to maximize the sound. The bass you use also matters. If you have a $300 bass going thru a $2000 rig, you only end up with a $300 sound. I am not a fan of the newer SWR heads, but their cabs are great. The 8" speakers are not enough to reproduce the "best" bass sound. Also, match up the ohm ratings. I believe the WorkingPro is rated at 8ohms and the Goliath Senior is rated at 4 ohms.

3. MooseLumps

MooseLumps

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    8's and 10's are two different beasts. you need to play both cabs before you choose, no matter what you hear on Talkbass

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    And make sure, whatever amp you get, the cab matches,(ohms), or you'll be very unhappy.

5. dsanders

dsanders

Jan 22, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    If money is not an issue consider the Megoliath. I have used it, and currently use the Senior more often. If you are have a loud gig the 810 is much more capable than the Senior. In fact I rarely use the Senior stand alone. I like to pair it with the Big Bertha. Now if I am hauling off to a country or funk gig I will take only the Senior. Works great for styles that do not demand tons of low end.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'm sorry but I just don't like anything smaller than 10"s for bass. The Henry's a good cab but it always felt a little light in the loafers to me compared to a cab with 10"s. I think I like my low end to come more from the speakers than the port, and 8"s don't go low enough for me.

7. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I definitely don't agree with this, henry the 8x8 is my favorite cab I've ever played through, never ever ever had problems with low end