SWR Goliath II Jr Speaker Replacement Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Cnivek61, Jul 10, 2018.

1. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    If they're 16-ohm they're not the original Goliath (I-II) Jr. woofers either: those were 8-ohms to my knowledge. The Jr. was 4-ohms, the 4x10 8-ohms, no alternative impedances available.

2. Oldtimer

Oldtimer Supporting Member

May 4, 2002
    New Mexico
    Goliath III Jr. were offered with both impedences. Here are the specs-
    GOLIATH JR. III

[​IMG]

The 2x10 representative from our Goliath III Series. Upgrades included the black & chrome styling, shelf port and increased power handling. Replaced by the Goliath Junior (Series IV) in 2007.

Impedance: 4 or 8 ohm models available
    Power Handling Capacity: 350 Watts RMS
    Sensitivity: 105 dB SPL @ 1W1M
    Frequency Response: 105 dB SPL @ 1W1M (-3dB @ 45Hz and 15KHz)

Production Period: 1996 to 2007
    Final Retail Price: $857.13

PawleeP likes this.
  3. Cnivek61

Cnivek61

Jul 17, 2017
    UPDATE: So, I bought the cab and played around with it and an SWR Workingman 300 and my "rescued" Yamaha BB424X. When I start to crank (Gain @ 3 o'clock, volume past 1 o'clock, equalizer nearly flat with slight boost at both low and high ends, and not that loud in the room), the low E, G and even A were flapping the 10" drivers pretty badly. Am I going to hear a significant difference at higher volumes if I invest in the CA-10s, or should I just keep the cab for lower volume home studio practice as-is (with the Eminence Delta-10As)?

Stumbo likes this.
  4. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    If the drivers haven't been damaged already, you may get more improvement by adding a simple highpass filter pedal set at about 35-40Hz

Stumbo likes this.
  5. Cnivek61

Cnivek61

Jul 17, 2017
    Thanks for the suggestion, agedhorse. I wasn't familiar with HP filters - that makes sense and is worth a try.

agedhorse likes this.
  6. sheltjo6

sheltjo6 Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2012
    California
    It’s too bad the original speakers did not come with this cab.
    I would have suggested getting them reconed.

I’ve have one of the PAS speakers in my Goliath jr reconed five years ago.
    Five years later, the speaker still works great.
    I also had four Eminence SWR speakers reconed, which replaced the speakers in a working mans 4x10.

I recommend Speaker Repair Pros in Garden Grove, CA for speaker repairs. It used to be Orange County Speaker, but the speaker techs started their own company after Orange County Speaker closed down.

They do good work.
    Services

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021