1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SWR Goliath II Jr Speaker Replacement Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Cnivek61, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Cnivek61

Cnivek61

Jul 17, 2017
    I am considering a Goliath II Jr in which the original 10s were replaced with Eminence Delta-10A speakers. The seller reports "these speakers don't love the low B. Freq response isn't great below 180Hz or so." The original horn and crossover are in place.

My question for the TalkBass community: does anyone know if the specs of the replacement speakers are so different from the originals that low frequency response would suffer? Or is the cab design simply not ideal for low B playing?

2. moogieotter

moogieotter Custom Title

Jun 16, 2009
    Duluth, GA
    I replaced the speakers in that exact same cabinet with a pair of Eminence basslites from 2009. They are neo speakers with aluminum cones - the blue ones.

I don't know if they make speakers like that anymore but this SWR G2 jr 210 has very thick bottom and thicker than my SWR Redhead 1st Gen Eden Speakers 210 and many of my 15's.

3. moogieotter

moogieotter Custom Title

Jun 16, 2009
    Duluth, GA
    77BB8EB1-03F8-4AED-A2A2-70E8ED17BA50.

That’s her on the bottom. I’ve simply moved the badge to the middle of the grill. Putting that under the redhead adds tons of thick powerful low-end.

4. moogieotter

moogieotter Custom Title

Jun 16, 2009
    Duluth, GA
  5. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I had a Goliath II, Jr. The seller was the original owner, and sold it to me for $225 in 1999, saying, "It can't handle low B."

6. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    I’ve owned one before, original speakers, handled the B ok but not great. It’s the cab, as the 410 handles it just fine. Same speakers. If you’re looking for a 210 that can handle the B and is very loud, the Eden 210XST (not XLT) is of the same tone family and is awesome.

If you just have to have this thing you could do better with replacement speakers for it than what the one you’re looking at has.

7. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    The only replacement for SWR cabs: Eminence CA10.
    It's the same as the OEM SWR speakers put in the SWR cabs.

Hotblack and pjbassist like this.
  8. I put eminence legend bp-102 200w tens in my Ampeg cab. I remember when I was doing research I saw several reviews where people said they loaded them in their SWR Goliath cabs and were happy. I play 5 string and we even have a couple songs in drop A tuning and I dig the way they sound. There’s plenty of usable low end and they get pretty loud if I need them to. Big improvement over the Chinese 100w eminence speakers that came in that cab. Tone wise it reminds me a lot more of the Goliath senior cab I used to have than the factory Ampeg cab also.

9. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I’ve got a Goliath Jr II 2x10. It packs a pair of full range speakers and claims a 40Hz to 12kHz frequency response.

The Goliaths were specifically designed (along with the SM series amps) to be able to handle the (then) new 5-string basses. That was one of their big selling points when I bought mine back in the mists of time. Mine gets down to some very low lows even at fairly low volume settings. And my Spector fiver doesn’t even make that little cab break a sweat.

I’m no speaker expert. But I doubt the Eminence Delta series (which I’m familiar with) is going to sound much like whatever speaker was originally installed in your Goliath.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    AstroSonic likes this.
  10. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    I don't want to be that "expert dude", but the only straight replacement for a Goliath cab is an Eminence CA-10.

11. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Don’t even know what’s in mine. All I know is it’s factory original, works perfectly, and has sounded great since the day I bought it. And because of that I have no desire to crack it open purely out of idle curiosity to find out what it’s loaded with.

12. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Redding CA
    I put 2 of the SWR 10s that I have for sale in my sig in a Carvin 210 and they kicked butt with the low B.

13. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    The cheap deltas don't have much xmax and designed to be a mid bass driver. So it's no surprise they don't do low B that well

The Higher quality CA series with cast frames is what SWR used

14. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Well, it's not at all the same as the original PAS drivers SWR used until PAS closed up shop.

The CA10 is very similar to (but not identical to) the Eminence version that Fender used later on.

baxter_x likes this.
  15. Skillet

Skillet Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  16. Cnivek61

Cnivek61

Jul 17, 2017
    Thanks to all who replied....I love the response from this community!

From all the comments, I hear a consensus that the CA-10 or possibly the BP-102 would be an upgrade over the currently-installed Delta-10As and comparable replacements for the original PAS speakers.

Does anyone have the wiring diagram and crossover schematic for this cab, please? There are a handful of Goliath diagrams on the Fender site, but not clear which one is specific to the Goliath II Jr.

Attached Files:

17. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    True, but I guess it should be impossible to find those PAS speakers nowadays. That's why I mentioned the CA10.

18. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    Well, you can, but there is absolutely nothing mentiones of those drivers except a serial number. So you won't find much information ;)

19. Oldtimer

Oldtimer Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

May 4, 2002
    New Mexico
    Not really impossible. I have (2) 16 ohm PAS drivers sitting in a box in the garage! I think the For Sale ad I have here may still be available.

agedhorse and baxter_x like this.
  20. Skillet

Skillet Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Shreveport, LA