1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SWR Goliath III vs. SWR Goliath IV

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Eminor3rd, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    Is the power handling the only difference? The site says basically nothing. I know the Goliath II was ported differently than the III.

2. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Apparently Fender have changed from PAS drivers to Eminence, as well as upping the power handling slightly.

3. maxbass

maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy
    Am I wrong, or there were already a period in which SWR specs were reporting Eminence speakers in the Goliath III?
    It was around 2/3 years ago, I'm almost sure I did read Eminence speakers for a while on SWR web site.
    It could be when a 4 ohm version became available...

4. Eminor3rd

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    Ahh, I see. Thanks!

5. Eminor3rd

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    I'll have to check and see what my Goliath III has. However, it is an 8 ohm model, and I don't think it is of the newest run. But I'll report anyhow.

6. SWR stopped using PAS drivers a long time ago. With the Goliath III they were using 'SWR Custom' drivers, these were made by Eminence. Not sure what the difference is with the new ones, but as far as I know the last Goliath with the PAS drivers was the Goliath II.

7. Eminor3rd

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    Interesting. Thanks for the info! I'm just wondering why they felt the need to jump the series name again. To my knowledge, previous models have all have a fairly significant construction difference. SWR has always made cosmetic updates to the cabinets without changing the name.

Anyone else have any insight?

8. Okay, now I'm not so sure about this. When the Goliath III came out they made something of a deal about the new 'SWR Custom' drivers, but I am seeing ads from places like Sweetwater which claim there are PAS parts in there. The 'SWR Custom' 8's in the Henry the 8x8 were made by Eminence, could be the 10's in the Goliath III were not. There was a time when SWR used stuff from Celestion, Bag End, PAS and probably more and were very up front about where the components came from. In the mid to late 90's more and more vague marketing doublespeak began to creep in to the advertising, making it hard to tell just what you were getting.

9. lowmid1

lowmid1 Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    The Goliath 3's had PAS drivers until sometime after Fender bought the company. Mine was pre Fender (1996-97) and the manual even said that it was loaded with PAS drivers. Bryan Beller didn't leave until after the buyout and according to him, they were still using PAS driver when he left.

10. Here is the content from an email I sent to Phillip Trapp of SWR. The purpose of which was to help a fellow TB'er who had heard a rumor that Goliath IIIs were made in China.

Posted At: Friday, October 19, 2007 11:44 AM
    Posted To: Consumer Relations
    Conversation: Point of manufacture?
    Subject: Point of manufacture?

Are any Goliath III cabinets being made in China ?
    If not, where?
    Are you using the same drivers as in 2005?
    Are they made by P A S?
    thanks, Eric

Reply---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Good morning, Eric—thank you for writing in; we appreciate your interest in Fender Musical Instruments

We have never manufactured any of our SWR Sound Corporation brand bass speaker enclosures in China . All of our current Goliath series enclosures are produced at our manufacturing facility in Corona , California , United States

Indeed, all of our Goliath series enclosures currently still utilize custom-designed ohm PAS drivers

Thanks again for your patronage and have a good day

Philip Trapp
    Consumer Relations
    Fender Musical Instruments

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AFAIK, PAS manufactured the drivers until the IV series came along. I have two G III cabs from 2004/2005 (YES, post Fender buyout) Before having the first set of tens reconed after Hurricane Katrina, I asked my reconer if there might be a good or better brand/model to replace the PAS with. His reply was "There's no better ten inch speaker for bass guitar"

I haven't heard the IV series but have always loved the G III cabs for tone and power handling.

11. Eminor3rd

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    Thanks for the info, Eric!

12. pbassswr

pbassswr

Sep 6, 2009
    The Goliath III used PAS speakers but PAS went out of business in 07'. That is when the Goliath IV appeared and SWR started using Eminence speakers with a slightly higher power rating. I think the sound of the IV's are better IMO.

13. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Endorsing Artist: DNA
    Not to rain on the parade here, but I had a pair of GIII's for about a 9 month period. I drove them with a SM900 bridged, and they seemed uncapable of handling the power. I ran the EQ pretty much flat on both the head and bass and when I dug in, I would often here a loud pop come through both cabs. It drove me nuts so out they went. I got them new in the boxes from GC for a steal.

14. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    I suspect that the problem lay more with the SM900 than it did with the Goliath 3s. I have owned two G3s and an SM900 - I rate the g3s but the SM900 was a nightmare from start to finish.