SWR Installer thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chalie, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Hi,
    I am owning a SWR supper red head. This amp is giving me an exceptable sound for my mordern gigs but I also need a vintage sound from it sometime. Since the effect loop is designed for high output so I can't just run the overdrive in between this loop so I add the tube preamp to it together with Tech21 bass over drive. It is function well as you did by pass the SRH pre but I still don't have the tone so I wonder if I should ge the SWR Installer bass over drive preamp for this task or not.
    Please advice. Thanks
  2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    If you aren't content with your sound and want more tubage, the IOD would be a great choice. However, keep in mind that its a solid state preamp with an overdrive (and power) tube. Unless you really engage the OD (a tad will do a lot) you won't get tons of warmpth.
  3. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    The sansamp bass driver DI would be a better option in this case, I would think. It is definitely cheaper than the SWR interstellar overdrive. Also, it's much smaller, and battery powered.
  4. huskies90

May 17, 2004
    The IOD is a TUBE preamp (12ax7) that also comes with two power tubes that can be overdriven for a distorted sound.

I just went from a 350x to the IOD. I was hoping to get the same tube preamp clean tone that I get in the 350x. The IOD matches that tone fine. But adding a little overdrive really gives it a nice warm sound. I am digging the overdriven tone and moving away from the super clean tone I once loved although, for some settings, super clean still works for me... :bassist:
  5. Dear All,
    What is IOD ... sorry
  6. I am using the SansAmp Bass DI right now but I need to run it through a 12AX7tube mic pre-amp and then in the return on the SRH amplify since the effect return on this amp has to be a hi input (I think a higher voltage than straght from the instrument).
    The sound is not like a tube amps, no warmpt so I have to think about something more.
  7. Interstellar OverDrive.