Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR Installer thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chalie, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Hi,
    I am owning a SWR supper red head. This amp is giving me an exceptable sound for my mordern gigs but I also need a vintage sound from it sometime. Since the effect loop is designed for high output so I can't just run the overdrive in between this loop so I add the tube preamp to it together with Tech21 bass over drive. It is function well as you did by pass the SRH pre but I still don't have the tone so I wonder if I should ge the SWR Installer bass over drive preamp for this task or not.
    Please advice. Thanks
    :D

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    If you aren't content with your sound and want more tubage, the IOD would be a great choice. However, keep in mind that its a solid state preamp with an overdrive (and power) tube. Unless you really engage the OD (a tad will do a lot) you won't get tons of warmpth.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    The sansamp bass driver DI would be a better option in this case, I would think. It is definitely cheaper than the SWR interstellar overdrive. Also, it's much smaller, and battery powered.

4. huskies90

huskies90

May 17, 2004
    The IOD is a TUBE preamp (12ax7) that also comes with two power tubes that can be overdriven for a distorted sound.

I just went from a 350x to the IOD. I was hoping to get the same tube preamp clean tone that I get in the 350x. The IOD matches that tone fine. But adding a little overdrive really gives it a nice warm sound. I am digging the overdriven tone and moving away from the super clean tone I once loved although, for some settings, super clean still works for me... :bassist:

5. Dear All,
    What is IOD ... sorry

6. I am using the SansAmp Bass DI right now but I need to run it through a 12AX7tube mic pre-amp and then in the return on the SRH amplify since the effect return on this amp has to be a hi input (I think a higher voltage than straght from the instrument).
    The sound is not like a tube amps, no warmpt so I have to think about something more.

7. Interstellar OverDrive.

Mike