Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR LA15 - Pros and Cons

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PlayBass, Aug 28, 2005.

1. PlayBass

PlayBass

Aug 20, 2005
    I was recently looking at the SWR LA15 which is 100watts. I have never tried this amp before. This amp does not have XLR out and that's the only thing I am concerned with. I play worship with an audience from 200-300, is practical?

http://swrsound.com/products/search.php?partno=4490000000

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    You can do much better for the money. The SWR "LA" series is SWR's cheapest line, designed and manufactured to meet a price point for the market as opposed to designed for sound.

If that is all you can afford, it is fine. But look around for other amps in your price range, and compare the sound to the LA series. I think you'll find most other amps in that price range to sound superior.

Were it me, I'd find a used Peavey combo with a 15" speaker in it. Not glamorous, but sound good and are built like tanks.

3. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Pros: Reliable, as in you will always be able to rely on it to sound like poo!

Cons: Pretty much everything about it.

4. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    hmm I like it... I have been playing it ever day for the past 3 days just so i can get an idea of what it will normally sound like with different guitars. In fact i'm picking mine up this wednesday. this is the first post i've found that has had bad comments about it.

5. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    Play the Fender Rumble 100 before you decide. I have one (for home practice and the kids to use). To my ear it sounds great and has an xlr out. It's loud for what it is and probably very practicle for your church gig. Same price at the regular Guitar MegaLo Mart shops/online stores.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=bass/search/detail/base_pid/480721/

6. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I am a Die Hard Pre-Fender SWR Fan. Junk the LA and the Working Man crap. There is so much out there that is better for the money. Not much compares to the Pro Series, but the low low LA series, Behringer is better and SWR still charges SWR style prices.

7. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Well, in my case, I bought one when I was new to bass and didn't know any better. I have a feeling most of those reviews are like that, as well.

8. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    That is always the case with entry level gear. We are supposed to out grow them. If we did not, what would the market be for Modulus, Lakeland and USA Made Fenders? We outgrow starter everything. It is the way life works. :smug:

9. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I like SWR products - everything except the LA line. They should have never put it out.

10. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    The "workingman crap" actually is pretty nice for the $$ and was (is?) still made in the US, just sort-of no frills I used a WM10 for a lot of years as my home practice amp & it sounded really good and was made pretty well. The LA series, I'd have to agree with that statement...

11. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    No-Offense intended. The WM stuff that I have seen and used just did not hold up - AT ALL. All lines have the WM version in it. Fender MIM, Nemesis, Eden CXC, and on and on. Choose wisley. You can get crap or a jem in the rough.

12. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I have one... i seriously need to upgrade though. Too bad i have no $$$$$$! Anyway... I got mine before they came out with the newer lines. So, it doesn't have the metal grille.

Pros: Very light, loud enough for practice, supposedly the same preamp as in the high end models.

Cons: Sound is too boomy, Not versatile at all, not even loud enough for a small gig, sounds like crap when turned up loud, sounds like crap in general.

...go for something else... I got this one because it was $125 on ebay.... i wouldn't buy it again if it were lost or stolen.

13. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Ok I just got mine today and I love it. The sound does die out when you have it at 100% volume but quickly recovers even at 90% volume. I'm not sure what FunSlap89 considers a small gig, because it is definitly powerful enough for a small gig. Maybe the older ones are different?
    it will make the pictures rattle on the walls. I brought mine to work and started playing with it and the stuff on my desk was rattling around and I was about 20-30 feet away.
    I am quite happy with it. Like I said the only thing I can understand somebody not liking is the sound at 100% volume. But I never put any amp at 100% volume anyway. It sounds great with the lows turned up the highs turned up a bit and the mids rolled down.

14. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    Pre-Fender SWR stuff is still the best, though I've had good luck with my recent 2004 head/1x15 WM package purchase. I have the old WM12 and 1x10 extension package, and have just purchased a new WM12 as a backup. The old one is still sounding like new, and aside from having a transistor and input jack replaced a year or two ago, it's holding up like a champ. It's even been knocked over by my car and had God knows what happen to it on gigs here and there... none of it was my fault, either! That's what stinks...:-/

For my money, SWR kicks butt for tone and durability.