1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SWR Speaker replacment, Eminece Legend B102

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JonathanD, Nov 1, 2013.

1. JonathanD

JonathanD

Dec 13, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Hello y'all

So, I'm keeping this 610 that came with 2 speakers that were kinda wacky. OriginThread

The original and replacement speakers were made by eminence(No model on the replacements). I'm looking at the B102 as a very similar speaker to what is in the cab already. I'm reluctant since the speakers I'm replacing were actually hitting the grill while none of the others were. Can anyone see any issues with using these speakers? Thanks,
    Jonathan

2. GKevinK

GKevinK

May 23, 2008
    Glen Burnie, MD
    This could be lots of things. Like many manufacturers, SWR would often work with the manufacturer to produce a custom driver for their speakers. These drivers might closely resemble or be based on a standard model, but with differences in the specs to meet their needs for a particular cabinet. Standard drivers tend to come in 4 and 8 ohm versions, but with a 610 there is no easy way to wire 6 drivers to end up with a 4 ohm load. The replacement drivers may not have the same individual impedance of the original drivers, and that could easily result in more power going to the replacements than the OEM drivers still in place. The replacement drivers could also have different Theil-Small parameters than the original, which would mean that the cabinet tuning could not be optimized for them and the originals at the same time - so the resonant frequency might not be correctly cancelled (resulting in over-excursion like you report.) If this is the Goliath Senior, the manual does state that it is a custom driver. My first move would be to see if any original replacement drivers might be available - check the SWR website for a service location near you.

3. JonathanD

JonathanD

Dec 13, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    They all say 8ohms.
    The resonant frequency thing is intriguing to me. The top 2 speakers also experience over excursion when unplugged.

4. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    The ones slapping the grill are blown. They're just getting tossed around by the air pressure changes caused by the ones that are working.

5. C130AVN

C130AVN Stringed Tubist

Apr 19, 2012
    Winnipeg, MB
    80% of the speaker manufacturers do very little to properly tune drivers to their boxes, and the 20% that do have price tags to match the care taken to. I wouldn't be ridiculously concerned with specs, but you have to be in the ballpark.

I threw a B102 into a little Ashdown Perfect 10 40W and after a brief break in the little bastard sings like never before, tighter, deeper and louder. The B102 is a nicely voiced speaker that hasn't got the scooped out mids of so many other 10 inchers. I would rather give up a little off the bottom and have a stout midrange.

Having said that, getting the 2 offending drivers reconed would likely be your best option, as you know what the final product will sound like.

6. Sumaru

Sumaru Supporting Member Supporting Member

May 16, 2013
    I'm contemplating reconfiguring a Hartke VX410 with either these or the BP102's. I hear the BP102's have incredible bass but a sharp dropoff after 2.5Khz. How is the low end in the B102's?