1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SWR Super Redhead question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Elionjamz, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Elionjamz

Elionjamz Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Maybe you guys have some ideas for me..
    I have a pre-fender SWR Super Redhead. I love the tone of the amp, its awsome, but I just can't get volume and low end out of it, at leaste for performance volume, with out feeling like the amp is about crap out. Even when i have my bag end s15d hooked up to it, it feels underpowered... Is this common? I feel like I could even get more volume hooking a nice head up to the s15d. Maybe you guys have some ideas or some experience with the redheads. As I mentioned, I love the tone of the amp, I just feel like I'm gonna blow it up everytime to try and compete with my drummer for volume... Thanks!

2. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Maybe the SWR and Bag End speakers are a bad combination. Phase issue.

3. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    grab some preamp or even only an active bass and go into the effects return. that's what i do whenever i happen to have play through a SWR or similarly mid scooped amp.

at least try this for once before you buy expensive new gear.

4. steveb98

steveb98 [acct disabled - multiple aliases]

Mar 15, 2006
    Venice, CA
    I have the same amp and feel the same way about it many times. I have played around with a hotter pre-amp tube and it increased gain and pushed power amp more, I didn't like the sound. I have tried plugging an active bass in to effects return, but had to crank the power amp to get any volume. Would like to try a pre-amp into effects return and see with enough pre-amp signal how it sounds.

I recently brought a new amp and cab and don't use my Redhead much now. For me the Redhead was heavy, bulky and a PIA to get in my car. Having separates is much easier for me to transport.

5. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    +1
    I agree!

6. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    +1 also true. However, a pre with the basic 350 of the SRH works well, IMHO. Consider more speaker area. :D

7. Harpo61

Harpo61

Dec 15, 2000
    Tampa Bay
    I had the same problem then I picked up a BBE Maxcom and it gave my Redhead a lot more headroom

8. I picked up a Big Ben 18" sub that I use with my Super Redhead now. This helps mine a lot by providing a bit more bottom. With these amps I usually use the balance line out and select the setting to LIVE. For really loud environments it's the only way to go. Keep the stage volume low and let the PA system do what it is supposed to out front.

9. high mileage

high mileage

Apr 17, 2006
    Rockford IL
    I have that amp and use a Goliath Jr under it. That setup keeps up with a lot of situations but I did switch to an SVT4 + 810 for my current band. How are you EQing it? Turn down the enhancer and add some mids. I think mine are set at about 8:00 and 2:00 respectively.

10. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    enhance must = 0, IMHO. :cool:

11. high mileage

high mileage

Apr 17, 2006
    Rockford IL
    Yeah, 8:00 is just about there. It might be about "1" on their scale but they should rename it the "lack of punch" knob. :meh:

12. Elionjamz

Elionjamz Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    I've been keeping the enhance down, having everything else pretty close to flat response with the bass at about 2 o'clock. It sounds like maybe a compressor would really help?

13. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    effects return. find out whether you like the power amp and speakers at all.