Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

swr super redhead

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by emielow, Jun 22, 2005.

1. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    is this a good amp?

i can change my amp (hartke 3500 head + 4x10 XLcabinet) for a swr redhead amp. is this a good deal?

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Great sounding amp. Not really enough volume as a standalone, you really need to use an extension cab with it. Especially if you use a 5 or 6 string, or drop tune.

3. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Stick with the Hartke, the SWR doesn't have the volume and I don't think the tone is that great either.

Just my two cents.

4. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Why are considering the exchange? I have a redhead and used a 3500 with a hartke 4x10 for about 6 months. they have different sounds and both have cools features. i like the sound of both, but they are different. Overall IMO it's a push, one for the other. The redhead might be a bit more portable if the casters are in good condition. As others have posted I think your current rig will be a bit louder.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The Super Redhead is one of the three best 210 combos made. I actually prefer it over the Eden Metro.

6. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    the only issue i ever had with mine was the lack of low end. The SWR has a ton of great features, and is extremely flexible.

its tone also sat very well with my band. it was always clear and distinct in a band situation.

7. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    wich is the other?

8. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    Several years ago I had the same opportunity and made the switch. I was amazed at what the Super Redhead could put out in terms of bottom end and tone - and it's very portable. I thought it was a no-brainer and never looked back.

I will say I did end up getting the Big Ben Jr. as an extension cab for the outside jobs.

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, that's going to be a matter of opinion. I'm sure there's an EBS out there, and somebody's going to come up with a Peavey something-or-other (BAM?), I personally think the Fender Bassman 400 Pro is a highly underrated amp, maybe best bang for buck.