Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR WM-12 with EUB for big band

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by tornadobass, Feb 20, 2005.

1. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    I'm thinking about using my SWR WM-12 with a Bugbass EUB in a big band...nobody is mic'd in the band. Will the WM-12 have enough volume in a medium-sized pub setting?

My alternative is a GK-700RB into either an Avatar 12 or Eden 210, which I'm sure would provide more than enough volume.

Suggestions?

2. basmansam

basmansam Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Vermont
    I'm sure you'll be fine. I have used previously wm12 on gigs, it was loud enough (URB).

3. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I think you will be OK with the WM12, based on the assumption that it's a bit louder than my GK MB150E combo. But it is going to depend on the band. There is one big-band in my locale, 100% acoustic, which is a bunch of really powerful players who enjoy playing loud. This band can overwhelm my 100-Watt combo.

But with the exception of this unusual band, the MB150E is typically ample for big-bands. With a bit more power, and probably higher speaker efficiency, the WM12 should be fine.

Keep the GK and the louder of the two speakers in your car just in case :)

4. I use a SWR WM12 with a BassMax and a Fishman Preamp and I get good results with my bigbands and the drummer and the 5 horns are very loud.

Without the preamp, I loose some volume. The Wm12 is great, the sound is good, you can add some speakers or plug it into the console if you need more volume, but you should be okay with it. And it is also good for the EB.

5. Before you start keepin extra gear in your car, let me know where you normally park it... ;)

6. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    Thanks, all! I'll give it a try...I've had it hitting the limiter a lot in louder settings with the Bug...but my American Standard URB w/Underwood or my EBG both get a lot of volume from the amp.

I swear it once held up to two Marshall 1/2 stacks in a basement reggae rehearsal...maybe the Marshalls looked more fierce than they were sounding :meh: