1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

sx bass owners,this is for you

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jay22, Oct 5, 2008.

1. jay22

jay22

Oct 5, 2008
    well im new to this forum and was jut wondering if anyone here has or has played a sx bass,i heard they are good for the 100-200 dollar price range,if you have had one or have played one before could you show me a pic of yours and or tell me how it feels and plays,thanx:cool:

2. Last call

Last call

Aug 27, 2007
    Indianapolis
    do a quick search bud, tons and tons and tons and tons of info on SX, theres club threads and otherwise.

I have an SX geddy clone I bought off another tb'er with an audere jz-3vb preamp and a carvin b style hipshot bridge. It doesnt get the play it deserves, i have more expensive basses too, but this one is amazing for the price range.

3. jay22

jay22

Oct 5, 2008
  4. gm jack

gm jack

Oct 5, 2008
    Reading UK
    From my experiences with them, they have decent woods, but the construction is sub par and the electronics are foul.

I would recommend keeping the squire. So long as you don't get one of the nasties that slips through quality control, they are great basses for the price. I had an affinity series jazz for a year and a half and I never regret having it.

5. jay22

jay22

Oct 5, 2008
    i ow an affinity series p-bass that i bought as my first bass,but know i have a olp stingray copy and an epiphone Thunderbird,which are all amazing,idk yet its a hard decision

6. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    The above poster means search HERE on talkbass. Seach for "essex".

Rondomusic.com IS the SX site. They're the source of SX basses.

7. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    My experiences have been quite the opposite. I've owned about 10, and all of them have been top notch. Maybe I got lucky (10 times running...) but all of them have had smooth fretwork, nice electronics, and decent hardware.

All of which makes them basses I'd take over a MIM Fender at the same price in a heartbeat. Seriously, I've never played a MIM that could touch any one of the SX's I've owned.

IME, YMMV, yadda yadda.

8. I just got one of their '75 RI models, I did change the bridge and put a shim in the neck but that's about it. New strings and I'm still slowly getting it set up but it sounds pretty good so far. Not bad for $179 shipped.

9. Dave R

Dave R

Sep 21, 2007
    Boise, ID USA
    I bought an SX 5-er because I didn't want to spend too much to find out whether I liked the whole 5-string thing.

When my SX arrived, it looked beautiful. But the action was quite high. I adjusted it (did a setup as described here on Talkbass) and found it quite good. I now gig with it regularly.

I can find nothing wrong with the electronics or the pickups. It has a nice hot signal and good tone.

10. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    I have 3 SX basses....and if you search any of the SX threads (search using essex) you will find a ton of info there.....

In short I love mine, and my home built, SX Geddy Clone has freakin killer tone with the D'Addario half rounds! It is my favorite bass to play at the moment when I want a growly aggressive sound.

11. hesham8

hesham8

Mar 21, 2008
    SX? Great basses to GAS on. Honestly, whenever I have GAS, I go for SX or Brice (also on Rondo). Let me put it this way: I enjoy my $180 SX Jazz more than my Fender Standard Jazz bass. Though, that'll change once I get my G&L L2000...

12. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Never heard of 'em, myself. On an unrelated note, I've been wondering if anyone out there has any opinions about Fieldy as a bassist.

13. Rondo has built their reputation more on their Agile Les Paul guitars than their SX basses. My opinion on the SX basses is that they're okay for a beginner, but you can do a lot better for just a little more money.

14. vintageampeg

vintageampeg

Feb 2, 2005
    I just picked up an SX Jazz for 75 bucks locally, found it on craig's list. Bought it b/c I wanted the strings on it - TI Flats. I bought it, changed the strings, and sold it to a buddy for 75. I got free TI Flats!

However, when I set up the bass for my buddy I realized I couldn't put it down! My only complaint was the sharp edges on the nut - but really it was a nice bass!!! Yes the pups were pretty hot and the tone was nice. Fretwork was surprisingly good.

15. Thangfish

Thangfish ...overly qualified for janitorical deployment...

Fieldy who?

Hey, if my amp puts out too many ohms, can I just use BOTH jacks on my speaker to split them down?

16. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    You hope.......:D

17. Thangfish

Thangfish ...overly qualified for janitorical deployment...

Search TalkBass for ESSEX

18. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Are tube watts louder than solid state watts?

(since you are new I will cut you SOME slack) :D

19. mrjim123

mrjim123 Supporting Member

May 17, 2008
    Indy
    Watts that supposed to mean? Oh, yeah, you're right. But if it's putting out too few ohms then you need to run your instrument cables in series, the more the better. And make sure to use straight cables - electrons have problems trying to go around and around those darn coiled cables. Uhhh, this is the off topic forum, isn't it? :eyebrow: