1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SX (essex) modifications

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stevellss, Sep 20, 2008.

1. stevellss

stevellss

Aug 13, 2008
    Last week I got an SX Jazz bass (the green model w/ bound maple neck) and after many hours of playing it I've decided that the bridge and pickups are the first things to go. I've got my mind set on a gotoh 201 bridge, but what I'm looking for advice on is the pickups. The most important factor here is that i am on a very low budget, so let's say for $60 or under, what is my best bet if I want a growly, slap in the face kind of tone? also appreciated would be advice on what kind of affordable pickguards that come in tortoise shell that would fit on this bass. Thanks!

I must also say that I'm glad I trusted all the raving on here about SX basses. I was expecting a decent bass and this has exceeded my expactations.

2. topcat2069

topcat2069

Dec 2, 2007
    Palm Springs
  3. John Webb

John Webb

Apr 20, 2006
    Myrtle Beach,SC
    I modded my SX P with some used parts I had.
    I put on an american string thru bridge and a SD 1/4 pounder. Also added a tort PG.......I now have a very nice sounding, pretty solid P bass that I'm not afraid to beat up on a little bit.

4. On a budget, GFS pickups cannot be beat. There's not much in the way of bass stuff, but I think their J pup might do what you want. They also have high mass bridges, though they're out of stock half the time.

5. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

I'd recommend Fender Noiseless pups for what you're looking for. But they're more than $60.

By the way, did you tray fiddling with your amp settings? The stock SX pups can be pretty "growly" with the right settings.

6. Navybass

Navybass

Mar 12, 2005
    Norfolk, Va.
    If you're going to change the pickups, make sure you change the potentiometers also. The pots on SX basses aren't the greatest.

As far as pickups, SAVE your money and get some good pickups. MightyMite pickups are a small step up from what you already have on there. You probably won't notice much of a difference at all. With that said, why spend $60.00 on something that's not going to make a difference when you can save your money and get something much better.

7. stevellss

stevellss

Aug 13, 2008
    thanks everyone for the advice. I am tempted to try out those GFS pickups, though I must admit I am starting to like the SX pickups with it a little heavy on the neck one, combined with some adjustment on my sansamp pedal.

8. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Do what you wanna do, but I bought a set of Fender Original jazz pups for my SX SJB57 that I had put an Audere pre in (this is my baby). Well, my opinion is, the stock ceramic SX pups sound goood and are stronger than the Alnico V Fenders. So I bought an SX SJB62 to leave STOCK! For plain raw punch and slapping (I know that's not what you said, but I do mean slapPING) I often pick up the stock one (I don't HAVE to pick it up 'cause the Audere Q switch gets me a good slap tone too, but still not as punchy as the stock pups).

9. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Just wait and save your money for some good pups; you don't want to have to change them again in a year.

*EDIT*

Instead of starting a new thread I'll ask here: How reliable or SX necks? I know pups and hardware are easy (and cheap) enough to replace, but the neck raises a concern to me, especially in the long run.

10. dakpluto

dakpluto

Oct 14, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Keep an eye on the classifieds section for pickups. I just recently scored some 1/4# there for a great deal.

11. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    +1

I used to go to the RONDO store and play around on the gear so I had a decent sampling of the SX line.
    I found that nearly half of all SX's I tried were at least partially micophonic. SOme were BAD in this regard. if this is the issue you were having, try repotting them with wax. Its easy to do and had a definite impact.

While you may not want to throw large money after small by getting top notch pu's, you can definitely upgrade via buying used and realize great results.

IMO spend money on obvious gains, not hopeful ones.

Good luck, and post pics!

12. BassBob185

BassBob185

Oct 25, 2007
    Rocking Chair
    I installed EMG Select passive on my SPJ for $50. Highly recommended

13. Be careful about replacing the bridge with a Gotoh 201. They have quite a bit thicker baseplates and will raise the action up quite a bit. You won't be able to get the action as low as you can with the original bridge. I've had one on two different SX's, and had the same problem with both.

As far as pickups go, I'd recommend the DiMarzio Model J pickups. They're really nice and not too expensive.

14. gil_mor

gil_mor

Apr 24, 2006
    Sedona, Az
    I'm thinking about changing to model J (I have one on my P/J) and adding BadAss II,
    What do you think?

(Fretless Jass SX)

15. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

What's your concern with the neck?

Of all the SX basses I've had I've never had a problem with the neck. Truss rods work fine, neck didn't warp, etc. Of course, I took care of the bass.

16. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    what is "repotting with wax" exactly?
    not being an a-hole...I just never heard of that.

17. oyobass

oyobass

Feb 20, 2008
    Spanaway, WA
    Dunk the PU in a pot of hot wax long enough for the wax to soak into the coils. When the wax cools, the fine coil wires are frozen in place. The idea is: no vibration = no microphonic squeals.

oyo

18. Rugaar

Rugaar

Apr 11, 2007
    wisconsin
    Here's a good tutorial.

19. jwsamuel

jwsamuel

Apr 26, 2004
    I have an SX Jazz bass and replaced the bridge with the Gotoh 201. I have never been able to get the action low enough again. I think I'll go back to a regular Fender bridge and see what happens.

Jim

20. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    This is a common issue, and to be expected if the neck angle was correctly set for the original bridge. Simply put, if you want to change the bridge to one with a thicker base plate, you should shim the neck to bring the heel of the neck up slightly.