1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SX Jazz basses....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thedaivisch, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Thedaivisch

Thedaivisch

Sep 3, 2009
    Hi,

I want to pull the trigger on a SX Jazz bass (as a modding project - I've got a pair of Sadowsky HC pickups and I'm thinking maybe a John East Pre). These babies are very hard to get hold of in the UK, but I've found a Spanish supplier. I'm pretty sure I want a lake placid blue jazz, but I'm struggling to figure out the different models. Can anyone tell me the difference between the SJB and FJB models?

http://www.tiendamusicasa.es/musicasa/Item/BAJ_ELE_SX_FJB62LP.aspx

http://www.tiendamusicasa.es/musicasa/Item/BAJ_ELE_SX_SJB62LP_this.aspx

Dave

2. Thedaivisch

Thedaivisch

Sep 3, 2009
    buump

3. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Jul 7, 2010
    Florida
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6, Hipshot, GHS Strings, Somnium Guitars
    mainly the hardware looks...both are same body and neck

4. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    From what I can tell the main difference is in the headstock. The first having a Fenderish headstock (only available in certain countries) and the second having what we call here the "old" headstock which has been replaced with the new "ursa" headstock that everyone hates.

Give the original passive pickups a try first. You may be surprised at the tone, though they are single coils and do hum soloed. Obviously Sadowsky pickups and John East preamp would be a huge step up but make sure wallet is full first...

Note SX bass often need some improvements like shielding, fret leveling, setup and strings before you even start. Sometimes a bit of clean-up on the neck joints helps a lot too.

5. Thedaivisch

Thedaivisch

Sep 3, 2009
    I've already got the Sadowskys - they're sitting in my drawer :) I took them out of my Sadowsky MV4 and replaced them with Nordys.

Do you think an Aria STB would be a more solid, better constructed bet?

http://reverb.com/item/7539-aria-stb-jb-electric-bass-guitar-4-string-vintage-sunburst-jazz-style

6. That's a huge exaggeration. Not "everyone" hates it. Plenty of people are fine with it.

7. Thedaivisch

Thedaivisch

Sep 3, 2009
    Actually, the headstock on the "S" looks more Sadowsky and the headstock on the "F" looks more Fender...

8. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    I can't help you with the differences 'cause I can't read Spanish. But, I speak from experience when I say all of the SX jazzes have something good to offer. And LPB is the best SX solid color ( even though they darkened it after I bought mine),

IMGP2723a.

And I hope you do spend some time playing the stock pups. At least one person has put the stockers back in after trying a "better" pup.

9. Thedaivisch

Thedaivisch

Sep 3, 2009
  10. Thedaivisch

Thedaivisch

Sep 3, 2009
    Also, it looks like some of your basses have 70s pickup spacing?

11. Fresh Eddie

Fresh Eddie

Nov 13, 2008
    Is it just me or does the second link look like a short scale? Something about the way the pickups look against the body....

12. Thedaivisch

Thedaivisch

Sep 3, 2009
    Yeah I thought that. I think it *might* just be the funny angle/perspective. I've asked the shop to clarify...

13. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Not sure. That headstock was never available in my market and SX changed the color to something closer to that picture when they changed the headstock in my market. So all I can tell you is, my basses are no longer available new with my headstock and my color.

14. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Whichever spacing they are (I forget which has the bridge pup closer to the bridge), mine are all the same.

15. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas Commercial User

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    Put Dimarzios in mine, and changed them back out. If you like vintage sound, and I do, my SX is perfect with the stock pickups.

16. Thedaivisch

Thedaivisch

Sep 3, 2009
    The shop say it's 34 inch scale.

17. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    I wouldn't call it a "huge" exaggeration...Batman, just an exaggeration. I've seen maybe a couple posts (at least one for sure) where the person found the URSA headstock better looking than the the older ones. We could run a poll, but judging by TB posts I'd say it's more that "plenty" of people hate it rather than are fine with it. Generally speaking I could give a rat's butt about headstock shape, but I still changed all my Ursa headstocks with a bandsaw.

But hey, if you like it, then that's great for you. My favorite shape is the "old" Sadowsky-like shape. I do have an SX that was the old "canoe paddle" headstock and I bandsawed it into a Fenderish shape. Even though it still has a huge "SX" on it I still feel a bit guilty about the "fake" shape, but the old "fishhook" just HAD to go.

http://www.mrk-inc.com/users/fjacoby/SXStock.JPG

18. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    If you look carefully at the one in the first link you'll see that there's a thin piece of foil between the bridge and the bridge pickup. This is the bridge ground, which is done as a wire in a channel on the other one. Fender used to do the foil strip method years ago but switched to the channel method later. It depends on the look you want since they both work the same.