synth pedal wanted!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dyno_uk, Oct 31, 2005.

1. dyno_uk

Dec 24, 2004
    Hey guys and gals,

I last posted many moons ago asking for advice over which warwick to buy - have been completely amazing by my Streamer Jazzman 5 - even tho its a bolt on. After playing the stage 2 in the shop, i couldnt comprehend the extra GBP 700 for it!

Now, I would like advice again.

Not sure if many people are into Jamiroquai, especially the older albums, but there is a synth sound that is used on Synkronized and in particular a song called "where do we go from here". it is the don of funky and I really wanna try to replicate the sound [i can guess there is some kind of wah on it also - when the bass has a semi-solo]

People have suggested getting a mini q-tron or the boss syb5. I however am totally lost with which is better, more usable etc. Can anyone shed some light on this for me please?

Cheers in advance...

2. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Hey, Stewart Zender used the synth in his me-6b and on his me-8b. FWIW, he didnt actually play on synkronized.
  3. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Always groove.... Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    I've always been a bit of a snob against digitech, but I tried and purchased a SWB (I think that's the name for their bass synth pedal) and I like it a lot.
  4. If you want my opinion, the Boss SYB's suck, but they are cheap, useable and available I guess.

The Akai Deep Impact is where it's at, but they are expensive and rare. I don't know the sound you mean, but I'd be pretty sure the Akai could come pretty close without too much futzing.

The Q-tron isn't really a synth, but combined with some other pedals you can get close to some sounds created by the synth pedals.

Heaps of threads about synths here, have a search and see what others are saying.
  5. FunkyLemz

Oct 17, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    I 2nd that the syb's suck. I have just read some good things about the Korg G5 and I have heard a recording of the akai (it sounded okay - on the recording). You may want to look into the eh microsynth too.
    Let us know what happens, but whatever you do don't stop da' funk.

Also, someone recommended the streamer to me - so you just love it I see -Could you give me details so i can have some GAS pains.
  6. dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    i think all synkronized bass lines were recorded with a keyboeard or synth.
  7. dyno_uk

Dec 24, 2004
    Hmmm quite a conflict of info here!

I realise that Nick Fyffe was the bassist on this album - and in seriousness in the studio they must have had a rack full of effects which cant be reproduced cheaply or as easily for live playing.

I think a trip to the shops is in order.

If anyone has any other ideas, please let me know. I am very grateful!

8. nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Check this link for Nick's setup:

As for "Where do we go from here" sound, I believe this is done using envelope filter + maybe some other tweaks (flanger/phaser?) to it.
    I have both Akai Deep Impact and Korg G5 synths and neither of them will get you there for this song.
    But for synths get Deep Impact - can't be beat IMO.
    EoganDubh likes this.
  9. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Nick didn't play on the album just live, so all the lines are keyboard bass lines

Personally a few effects will give you zender ish sounds

Akai Deep Impact
    Crowther Prunes & Custard
    A decent fuzz pedal and filter
    Fuzz and Phaser
    Ibanez SB-7
    Digitech Bass Synth Wah

But what you'll find as me and Toasted did Stuart Zender doesn't use lots of effects (lots of compression yes but) so those cool bass lines or effects you'll be hearing will most likely be keyboards

Hope this helps
  10. dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Line 6 Variax bass nails those zender synth sounds- just out of interest. and it tracks way better than a deep impact (but not nearly as sexy)
  11. iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Well, for pure synth, there's the EHX Bass Micro Synth.

I've always heard that the P&C had synthy stuff inside, but I've only heard 1 clip, a home-grown one, & it wasn't too good. Would enjoy listening to a pro on the Crowther unit.

For pretty wild, although seamingly close to uncontrolable synthy craziness(on the Stallion side), there's the Catalinbread Teaser Stallion("Subtle overdrive to blistering gain...& that's just on the CONSERVATIVE side!")

Another possibility that just recently showed up on my radar screen is the Studio Electronics Wolftone Chaos. Great clips. Real synthy, but musical. Made for guitar, but the guys at SE said good chance it would do bass well. They hadn't tried one, but they said they'd hooked up a piano & it worked well. "First you get the pedals, then you get the power, then you get the women!"

I'm pretty much dying to try one out. Would love to hear from anyone who has test driven a Chaos. Anyone?
  12. Hi, if you are talking about synth, can anyone advise to me a syth witch sound like Boss SYB 3 or 5 and witch is programable (except Deep Impact).
  13. I've been playing a Studio Electronics Wolftone Chaos for a year or two now. It works perfectly on bass. It's kind of like a bass fuzz but you can dial up reactive synthy overtones with the entropy knob. Very articulate and nice and squidgy. Highly recommended, and its well worth the money. If you have even moderate interest it's worth picking up. Its kind of my secret weapon, as no other bass players seem to have picked up on this thing. I've also been looking into the Crowther Prunes & Custard but they're a bit hard to find. I'd like to hear one before shelling out the money, just to make sure it's not completly redundant with the Chaos, though I'd be a bit surprised if it sounds as good.
  14. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
  15. iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    YEAH :D O.K., that's all I needed to be sold on a Chaos.

Agreed on the P & C, too. Have heard nothing but good about it, but HAVE NOT HEARD IT.