1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Synths, anyone?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MTBassMania, Mar 11, 2013.

1. MTBassMania

MTBassMania

Mar 5, 2013
    Just curious if anyone out there likes using synths for bass? Be it all the time, or just for certain parts; analog or virtual. What synths do you like?

For the most part, I use my bass (Rockbass Corvette $$). But every now and again I like to come in with that huge wall that just makes the room vibrate. I usually keep it relatively simple when I do. In other words, I don't really jam with my synth (at least, not yet). Mostly just get to a part where I'm like, "And now, we get heavy..."

I've mostly been using virtual synths. I like Rob Papen/LinPlug's Albino, Native Instruments Massive, and Camel Audio's Alchemy. I just recently added a Moog Minitaur into my arsenal, but haven't really had much time to play with it. (Moving to a new place.)

2. I used to have a korg x50 but I only used it at a show once. I ended up getting a digitech jamman pedal and sampling the keyboard stuff. These days I'm not into the synth stuff as much but i have east west quantum leap symphonic orchestra and use reaper to record virtual instruments with an M-audio midi controller then i edit the midi to clean things up as im primarily a bassist, then i put it on the jamman pedal and jam along. I use a pod hd and my bass to get most of my "synth" sounds lately but I mainly use it for intros and stuff. Not like dub step or anything like that.

3. BBox Bass

BBox Bass Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Pennsylvania
    Fed Ex delivered my new Casio XW-P1 today. It's replacing my non-programmable Casio LK-94TV with the goofy light-up keys and cheesy, useless song demos. I mostly wanted the new one because it lets me make and store patches for my band's hair metal ballads, but it also has a ton of other goodies that seem promising. The bass synth tones in particular are pretty neat.

4. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Novation KS4 and M Audio Venom. Virtual analogue synths with 49 keys. Great for any kind of bass pad, soundbed, fx, leads, and of course more regular bass lines synth style stuff. I am leaning more to all synth stuff of late. Bass guitar just for messing around with some.

For an excellent smaller synth the new Novation Mini Nova is well worth a look imo.

5. xray

xray

Feb 15, 2009
    Kona, HI
    Novation Bassstation coolest keyboard I've picked up via ebay. Old school, unique, deep and versatile.

6. pedulla-2007

pedulla-2007

Sep 2, 2008
    texas
    Just picked up a Korg MS-20 to play around on.

7. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
  8. MTBassMania

MTBassMania

Mar 5, 2013
    I've heard some cool pad sounds out of an MS-20. How is it for bass?

I've got a VST of MS-20. I haven't played around on it too much, as I tend to use VST synths that were originally VSTs. Maybe I should, tho. I used to have a microKorg. It was cool, but the tiny keys were a pain. I sold it when I got a Mac, then regretted it a couple months later. Ain't that always how it goes?

Any personnel patch settings anyone would like to share?

I like to use a sine or triangle wave as a sub octave, with a saw wave on top. A little resonance, cutoff in the mid-mids. Route a slow LFO to the cutoff with barely any modulation, just to give it some warmth and texture. The envelope for the amp, I slow down the attack just a hint to prevent clicks and harsh starts, but not enough to give it that build effect (like the effect a bow has on a cello), a slow decay with the sustain just a hint lower, and the release just a little longer than 0 for quick drop out. If you can EQ, I like a boost at about 180Hz.

That's it. Simple and fat. If anyone has questions about how to make some sounds you've, feel free to ask. I've dabbled, and I've become okay at reverse engineering some sounds. It's always limited to what synth you are using tho - they each have a unique sound architecture.

9. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
  10. Had a Yamaha CS-5 eons ago... Memories triggered an analog synth-hunting phase, yielding a Roland JX-8P(w/PG-800 controller)and Ensoniq ESQ-1... Both are fun, but genuinely old sh- can have reliability issues. I have not touched keys live but would love to have something- foot pedals, touchpad of some Ortiz. The options these days are bewildering to a fossil like me. :)

11. patplaysbass

patplaysbass Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 7, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Soon-to-be-ex Musician's Friend/Guitar Center Employee
    I just grabbed a Misa Kitara for a steal on Craigslist. Still deciding if I want to hold on to it or not, but it certainly is a nifty little toy.

12. toddj1s

toddj1s

Sep 13, 2007
    Johnson City, TN
    I have a Yamaha MM6 for synth bass. Let's face it...there are some things electric bass just can't do. No shame in playing synth bass. Have some fun with it!

13. Synths are to rock as water is to fire. :p

14. How do you like it so far?

15. anton72

anton72 Supporting Member

I use Akai Deep Impact. Best bass synth ever.

16. BBox Bass

BBox Bass Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Pennsylvania
    So far, so good. Last night I programmed sounds for every song on my band's set list that requires keys. Parts of the manual are not easy to follow, but I found some videos that were helpful. I suspect I won't end up using a lot of the functions, but it's been fun to play with.

I'm amazed at how many parameters of the sounds can be controlled. I can see this synth being quite useful for part-time keyboardists like me who don't want to drop a grand on a Roland, but want more than the standard 100 PCM tones found on the cheap keyboards.

17. rob2966

rob2966

Oct 19, 2006
    Vancouver, BC
    Hey,

I love having the synth bass for my pop cover band. I usually play my Sadowsky 24F5 but move over to the Dave Smith Mopho when it is called for. Here is a pic with my Rob Allen.

IMGP0262.

I tried a few synth pedals and I found they all sucked :bag:. Even if you have limited keyboard skills, a real synth is the way to go. On top of that, I also like the real analog stuff even better :bassist:

Later
    Rob

18. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    One of the most awesome small time bands Ive ever seen or played with is this duo out of Ashville, NC called the Stereo Fidelics.
    Their guitarist plays all the bass on synth pedals!

19. MTBassMania

MTBassMania

Mar 5, 2013
    I finally got an analog synth, a Minitaur. Haven't jumped into it too much, but looking forward to it come spring.

20. MTBassMania

MTBassMania

Mar 5, 2013
    Are they a current band? I love Asheville and the surrounding area. Haven't been there in years.