tailpiece wire

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by bfitz, Dec 22, 2005.

1. bfitz

May 18, 2005
    lorain, ohio
    hello. i'm thinking about getting some work done on my bass. right now there are a few notes that ring on my bass, mostly around the c on the a and g strings. the rest of the notes on the bass don't really sound bad, just kind off dull, they don't ring out as much. the half and first possition on the d string is the worst. i was thinking of getting new wire for the tailpeice after reading a little bit about it here and was wondering what would be the best way to go. the wire that is on there doesn't look like the steel wire that was on a strunel that i used to own but it still is very stiff. will changing this help the bass out any? i also remember hearing something about using velvet (sp?) for the wire, am i mistaken or is there such a thing? the tailpiece itself seems petty light so i don't think i want to change it, but maybe? also, i looked inside the bass and the soundpost seems set right but i notice that somewhere along the line some one had glued a soundpost in there. the one i have now isn't glued but could the reside left over hurt the sound? sorry about the long post, i'm trying to get ready to start playing in a civic orchestra around here and i want my bass to sound its best. thanks for the help.
  2. idahohay

Nov 22, 2002
    Priest River, ID
    When was the last time you repaced your strings? Why not take it in to a good luthier and get some new strings and have it gone over.