1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Taking Strings Off and Re installing

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by eagle67, May 20, 2011.

1. eagle67

eagle67

Nov 12, 2010
    When you remove and re install your strings for cleaning, are there any pitfalls to avoid? How many times can you do this? I've always just replaced my strings with a new set, but I really like the (flats) I'm playing now, and they need a major cleaning.

2. Dragonback07

Dragonback07

Mar 16, 2011
    Don't boil them in water and allow the strings to remain in their "coiled" positioning as much as possible when pulling them through the bridge or body. Like any wire that is bent, to much straightening and bending will weaken the core and cause it to break.
    As for the number of times I would probably do it one or two times. That is just me though and you will have to figure out how weak or worn your strings have become over time.

3. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Pref you have quick release bridge instead of having to snake the strings thru the little hole in back of the bridge. Taking strings off and putting them back on a couple times is ok but more then that tends to dull their sound some in my experience.