Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Talk me out of a Dingwall AB1

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BurningSkies, May 8, 2005.

1. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    So, I'm really dying for a Dingwall AB1. I've been playing 4 strings for about 15 years, and have been thinking about 5's for the past year or so.

My reasoning is like this:
    -I play reggae, and wouldn't mind being able to drop a B-string bomb every now and then.

-Our lead singer keeps asking to cover modern soul/reggae songs that are mostly below low E, and we do a bunch of dancehall that would normally have keyboard bass below low E.

-I find using the pickup as a thumb rest is not really doing for me, but I love resting on a string when playing.

-I find the tension of A, D, and G strings great, but haven't found a low B I like, nor, do I find my E's (all 34 scale) to be tight enough for quick (16th note and faster) playing.

-I tend to like playing across the neck, staying in one place rather than up/down the neck.

-I don't mind a bit of flash...if you've seen my other basses, their mostly solid finishes and pretty restrained.

Soooo...one of the big bass-only retailers is listing a nice looking used AB1 with flame maple...it appears to be less than half list price of a new one. They do have a 'trial period' in case I hate it. I do have a rainy day fund, and I've been experiencing a period of non-financial rain in my life that this would be a great distraction from as well as a nice addition to my playing.

Yer job is to tell me why I shouldn't do this...or tell me why it's a great idea.

Help a brotha out!

2. I say go for it. I tried a used blue AB-1 at Bass Central awhile back. It played amazing. In fact, it was one of, if not my favorite bass that day.

3. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    That's the one I was thinkin' about! :)

4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Sorry dude, that bass has been sold.

:meh:

:(

You'll either have to pop for a new one, or cross your fingers and hope another one shows up somewhere eventually...

5. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

That's cool. Maybe a new one. :)

6. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    :(

Come on...I'm sure that there's more persuasion/disuasion out there!

Gimme some opinions, people!

7. damn dude, if you want a 5 string so badly...go for it.

8. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Don't buy one. Dingwalls are actually built in Nepal on a mountain... They employ an army of 500 under-qualified child labourers to build the afterburners. If you want a quality 5 string you should talk to wishbass.

[/stupid]

Buy the Dingwall. As fivers go you won't be sorry.

9. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Oh sweet jesus, buy a Dingwall! You're in a situation I'd love to be in -- able to afford one, that is ;). Go for it!

PS: Roscoe is famous for a lot of things, but the things they're probably most well known for are the superb B strings.

PPS: Gard...put in a good word for me with Keith!

10. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Agreed, if you are looking for an excellent, well make, great playing, great sounding bass, you cannot go wrong with the Dingwall.

(Tomorrow morning, Gard walks into the shop)

Keith, good morning, have a good weekend?

...oh, hey, this is from Govithoy: Word

:ninja:

11. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Sounds good to me! :) Thanks, Gard. I'll be hanging by the phone 'round 3-5 EST tomorrow, so tell Keith to send the job offer sometime in there, so I can accept it real quick.

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

There is only one reason that I can think of to talk you out of a Dingwall Afterburner I.

And that would be to talk you into the even more versatile, more yummy Afterburner II.

13. The Afterburner is an amazing instrument with an exceptional sounding B string (you'll be using it for more than a finger rest). I ordered one from Bass Central after having played one there while on holiday a few months earlier. The action is nice and low and the oiled neck is smooth and low friction. Mine has a honey amberburst finish over flamed maple. I can't think of a reason to talk you out of it.

Hmmm, with all this talk I gotta go play mine now. See yah...

14. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Remember to hold your breath the whole time, ok?

;)

15. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Yeah, and BassCentral has a six string ABII listed in the used section right now...for a really decent price, but I'm not crazy about the wood on that one and I'm not quite so flush with cash as to buy an ABII new.

I was also thinking that with all the black or dark blue basses I own, it would nice to have one of those brighter finished flame tops. I'm playing well enough these days for a little flash. :smug:

I just got a quotes for AB's from BassNW, but they don't have any in stock and it would be a 3 to 4 month wait. I'm surprised at the numbers they gave me...about 400 less than I had expected. I'm hoping that Bass Central has a few in stock and that they can match the price.

16. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    :)

I've seen pictures you've posted...I did a search and looked at all eleventy billion threads that mentioned Dingwall. If BC has both the honey amberburst and the whalepool blue in I'm going to have a tough time deciding.

The only thing that I can find as a negative is the fact that strings won't be readily available to me...It'll have to be mail order for them.

17. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Staff Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    I ordered a new Whale Pool Blue flame maple top AB1 a week and 1/2 ago from Bass Central. After speaking with Perry, Gard, and Grasshopper I'd have to say that they are all very very very nice. That said, the inventory provided online does not seem paticullar reflective of what they have in stock. Don't even bother lusting over used items you see there without calling first, I inquired into three items which were all gone already. Looking quickly just now, I see at least two of those items are still listed (include an AB1).

Hrm, maybe they need a good web programmer to design an easier to update system... (raises hand)

18. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    Howdy,

I just recently converted to a '99 Voodoo Z1 and I love it. This is THE answer to your string tesnion problem, and also to unplayable B strings in general. With these basses you can literally live on that string (one song I play is in C and I ride that B almost the whole song) as the notes are musical all the way down. I'm definitely sold on the design, but I have a few reasons why you shouldn't get one:

1. You don't like clean, clear bass tone.
    1a. You like muddy, undefined tone.
    2. You like playing floppy strings.
    3. You don't like playing something as nice-looking as a Dingwall bass.
    4. You don't like feeling even tension between all the strings.
    5. You like a B string that flops around like spaghetti.
    6. You are a traditionalist who doesn't like innovation (not really a bad thing tho :)
    7. You don't like playing a quality instrument and prefer cheaper, less-refined Korean-made instruments (aren't they all made by Samick anyway??)

Okay, so I'm not trying to start a war here over what makes a B string tight or that not all Korean instruments are bad so don't take me too seriously here!! However, I don't think you'll be disappointed. The fret fanning disappears and becomes almost transparent to your hands when you play--the biggest factor for me is jumping off a bass I had just gotten comfortable with (a four string) and switching to a five. I'm still getting to know mine, but man what a nice place to be.

Now, the reason why I quoted you was to say that DR makes an super-xl scale set that will fit it. I have a set which I am going to try for the first time here in a couple of weeks. I like the Dingwall strings, but figured I'd try these to see what the differences are.

BTW, I created a Yahoo group for these great basses, feel free to join and check it out. Also, if you have more specific questions, emaile me.

Best wishes on your search,

Eric

19. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Hehe Eric :)

As you can probably read from many of my posts, I think this is one of the best basses in the world in all categories. There are some things to get used too, and some of them may not be your cup of tea, but I really dont think you can go wrong. Of all the stories Ive read and other experiences, the only reason someone sells a Dingwall they own is because they got a nicer one!

Some things you may not dig, but I personally love. Banjo Frets: They are small, I think they feel and sound great, but if your used to jumbos, they will feel very tiny. Neck Profile is compound radius. That means it gets flatter the closer you go towards the bridge. I find this profile very comfortable, but if you like a chunky neck, it might not be for you. The last thing Ill mention is the scale. If you got tiny hands, it might be a stretch in the lower register.

Since you said they offer a trial though, I think you'll more than figure out if its the bass for you easily enough :)

20. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Thank you for your input, Eric! These are all reasons I'm really interested in the Dingwall, and while this would be my big switchover to 5-string, I don't see a good reason not to do it right. Let me (I'm sure others are interested too) know how you like those DR's. I'm currently using some hi-beams on my #1 4 string, so that would be a great alternative to stock Dingwall strings if I have difficulty getting them.

I do have a general question for people...BassNW has quoted me a pretty good wait for an ABI, and while I'm still waiting for a response from Bass Central, I get the feeling that I may find they've not got an ABI that I like the looks of (superficial, I know)...Anyone know of other dealers here in North America that might have some Dingwall Afterburner I basses in stock? I'd really like some nice wood, and most of the dealers on Dingwall's site don't list much.