Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Theonestarchild, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Theonestarchild

Theonestarchild Artfully lost

Aug 23, 2005
    North Carolina
    I was talking to my guitarist on the phone, and I was just messing around with my wah, and he asked if it was a talkbox or a wah. Can you play a talkbox on a bass? If so, which model is the best for bass, and how much is it? This got me interested, because I love messing with stuff, and you can mess with a talkbox non-stop.

2. i have heard that talkbox doesn't work well for bass, but i don't remember why...i think it had to do with the bass frequencies...
  3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The talkbox works by playing your sound through a tiny little speaker which conects to the long vinyl tube you stick in your mouth. You could probably replace the stock speaker/driver with something that can reproduce bass frequencies, but even then the echo chamber of your mouth is probably too small to reflect a solid bass note.

Better bet: vocoder. Lots of multi-fx boxes come with a vocoder patch these days.
  4. but you'd need a much larger driver! i don't think you'd be able to reproduce any decent amount of low end with nothing less than a 8" speaker! imagine the size of the tube you put in your mouth!

EDIT: acutally, reading through the link i put up before, that digitech talker might be the way to go with looks like instead of playing the sound out of a small speaker and through a tube where you "shape" the sound with your mouth, you plug a microphone and the bass into the talker, and talk, gurgle, scream, whathaveyou into the mic, and it mixes that with the bass...hmmm now i kinda want to try the talker!
  5. Theonestarchild

Theonestarchild Artfully lost

Aug 23, 2005
    North Carolina
    Anyone wanna give me the 300 bucks for the Digitech?
  6. johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    I use a Digitech talker which works well with bass. My band was doing "Do You Feel" "Rocky Mountain Way" and "Sweet Emotion" and I did 'talking solos' on them all. They are gimicky yet very musical!
  7. i'd like to hear some soundclips of that talker...
  8. I would be well impressed by anyone who could talk box and speak on the phone at the same time. :eek: Guitarists are stupid :D
  9. RunBeerRun

RunBeerRun Banned

Mar 10, 2003
    I have a Digitech Talker coming right now. I can put a clip up assuming it works ok.
  10. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
  11. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    Yeah, I for one would love to hear some clips of how it sounds. Keep us posted, and hopefully it's not faulty (I've been reading some stuff about 'em at Harmony Central, they seem to have a number of problems)

12. RunBeerRun

RunBeerRun Banned

Mar 10, 2003
    I'll bump when I have a clip.
  13. RunBeerRun

RunBeerRun Banned

Mar 10, 2003
    I have a clip of bass into Behringer distortion into Digitech Talker. The low frequencies work fine with this unit, the low E string comes thru fine and the low B does pretty well too.

Clip at:
  14. thats pretty, how did you do that? did you just talk in a normal speaking voice into the mic, and the bass changed the frequency? or did you sing into it?
  15. RunBeerRun

RunBeerRun Banned

Mar 10, 2003
    I was singing the same melody that the bass was playing most of the time, but it would sound the same if I wasn't.
  16. bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    can you record just clean bass through the talker and make it say stuff?

Oh and is it possible to get the same effect that peter frampton gets to make it change sounds (but not talking) by shaping his mouth differently? I know its a mike, but is there any way do you think?
  17. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    I imagine that you'd just say "aaaaaaaaaaa..." (for example) then to change to a "ooo" type sound you'd just say "oooooooooooooo..."

If that is the case, you'll need lungs like the aztec's up in the mountains (I actually can't remember the name of the range :scowl: I feel stupid...)