Taming the Musicman with Flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Bunnoodle, Aug 23, 2021.

1. Bunnoodle

Bunnoodle

Nov 29, 2017
    Hi!

I already have a p-bass strung with d'addario chromes for 4 years now, but now I'm looking to trim some of the top end from a sterling stingray. I'm looking for the best light-gauge strings for a boomy tone. I primarily play rock/funk at a few local gospel gigs. Any recommendations or experience?

My shortlisted options are:
    Fender 9050 - 40-100
    D'Addario chrome 40-100
    Labella LT flats

Thank you!

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Does the treble control on the bass not work?

3. Fender 9050L = 45-60-80-100.
    D'A Chromes ECB84 = 40-60-80-100.

When I tried the Chromes ECB84, I just couldn't tame the twang on the 40G, which sounded thin and too bright. Switched to Fender 9050L with the 45G - problem solved!

4. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    SoCal
    I'm running Fender 9050Ls on my Ray4 and it's a nice, tight, fat sound. Where you may run into a meatgrinder is "boomy". I don't know of any string that does that, it's more a function of how you set your tone controls.

5. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

I'm not sure what you mean by "Boomy", but... I'm using Galli's JF4505 Jazz Flats on my Stingray 4HH Special. At 45-105, they're not light gauge, but with 50+years of playing flats for reference? They don't strike me as particularly stiff or high tension. About like Fender 9050Ls, IMO. Not quite an Old School bottom end - like La Bellas - but not as middy as the Fenders, either. They fer sure will tame as much top end off your Sterling as you want. Google "Flatwound Comparison On A Stingray" on Youtube to hear them. Be warned, though; he's got a foam mute under the strings he's comparing; why, is beyond me. And, to my ears, the Galli's he's demo-ing don't sound all that different from my muteless ones... Other flats, in the lighter gauges, to tame the twang? GHS Precisions, La Bella DTFs (the 39-96 760FX's might suit you), Dogal R44s in 42-100 gauge, and Roto RS77 Hybrids (40-100) are some that you might like. Personally? If not the Galli's, I'd go with the La Bella 760FX's. I have them on a Dano DC59 Pro, and even at that light a gauge? "Twangy" is a word that nobody would use to describe them - even on a Dano...:cool:

e-flat likes this.
  6. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    If it is 3 band stingray , I suggest the ADG string from GHS 3025 mix .100 E string from EB Cobalt flat.

I been use above string mix on my cheap sub ray4 and it work. But , I prefer Ti flat on it which give me better tone and great string to string output balance. Especially the G sound full and woody.

In others hand, I string a set of EB Cobalt flat 50-105 on 2 band EQ classic stingray, she sound so wonderful !!! Meaty , growl and punch.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 22, 2022