Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tapping mini-course

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Alvaro Martín Gómez A., Feb 7, 2006.

1. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Hi everybody.

Some friends at the Ernie Ball forums have told me about their interest on getting started on the two-handed tapping technique for bass, so last night I recorded some short videos trying to explain the basics of the technique just as a "vacation farewell". Of course, I want to share them with the TalkBass community as well. My intention was to upload the files to PutFile, but size limit was not enough for me, so I decided to use YouTube for this. PLEASE EXCUSE MY ENGLISH PRONUNCIATION. Currently I have nobody who can help me practicing it.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Part 6

Part 5 is about practicing independence and as I said there, there are much simpler exercises for this, but I wanted to share that one because it's very cool (at least for me). Here's the transcription for that exercise:

[​IMG]

There's an important remark about this exercise that I forgot to mention: In part 2, I said that the right thumb always must be on the top side of the neck. When playing double stops on adjacent strings, the situation is a bit different. Anchoring the thumb only works for intervals greater than a tritone (most likely tritone, perfect fifth and minor sixth), but the smaller ones (most likely perfect fourth, major third and minor third) become very awkard to play without letting your thumb float (actually, minor thirds must be played with the thumb and the middle finger).

I hope you'll find this information useful. I'm by no means an expert on the technique but I like it and have been struggling with that for years. My knowledge on this is very limited but I think it's very useful for the tapping newbie who really wants to get into this stuff. Have fun!

2. pretty cool!
    thanks for the great post and vids!

3. JoshB

JoshB A great man is always willing to be little. -RWE Supporting Member

Thanks a ton!! Great resources!

4. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Finale has a built-in tool for converting .MUS files to .TIFF format. After that, I use IrfanView to convert the .TIFF file to .JPG (I do that just because .JPG is a more popular format).

I'm glad you find this useful, guys!

5. tbone0813

tbone0813 The faithless say farewell when the road darkens.

Aug 6, 2005
    Grand Prairie, TX.
    Coming from someone who hasn't attempted tapping in the past this is a good starting point. Thanks Alvaro.:hyper:

6. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Very cool, Alvaro. Thanks, and have a great vacation!

7. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Well, actually what I meant is that I'm saying goodbye to my vacation time :bawl: .

8. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Oops, my mistake! Vacation or not, the videos and transcription are still great. :)

9. jusaplaya

jusaplaya

Dec 14, 2004
    Houston, TX
    That is a great set of videos. Just one more reason to get DSL. I think that I will be adding tapping to repetoire soon.

10. Alvaro... simply excellent.

This page has just been bookmarked.

11. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Wow, I had no idea you were "allowed" to fret the root with your thumb and the major third with your index finger, that's why fretting thirds always felt so awkward to me. It's a lot easier this way.

12. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Maybe you wanted to say "minor"? Although it also can be done for major thirds I feel it's not necessary, while for minor thirds is a must.

13. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    awesome man, thanks a bunch :)

14. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Yeah, I meant "major", it feels a lot more comfortable to me to fret them with my thumb and index finger. If I use my middle finger for the root and my index finger for the third, I have to place my hand at a weird angle.

15. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    that is truly awesome.

never realised tapping was that simple. I need to get my fingers stronger though. Im trying to put to much force into it, and now i get a funny feeling when I type :D

16. Warwickluvr

Warwickluvr

Dec 26, 2005
    Thanks for the videos. Really helpful. :cool:

17. Kroy

Kroy

Jan 19, 2006
    Great videos and nice Van Halen chops :D

18. Eddard

Eddard

Oct 28, 2005
    Spain
    Gran trabajo Alvaro, enhorabuena y gracias

(Great work Alvaro, congratulations and thank you)

19. Alvaro, you rock. I've been wanting to learn how to tap for a while, but never got around to it in lessons, nor have found anywhere to buy a DVD, but this has really helped. Gracias!

On another note, how long have you been speaking English? Your pronunciation and grammar is a lot better than some native speakers I know :rolleyes: