Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TASCAM 428

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by bassboysam, Sep 17, 2004.

1. I am thinking of buying one of these, I have always used digital recorders like the Boss BR8, i am just wondering what the recording process is like with computer based recording? Can you record each track seprately or does it have to be all simultaneous?

thanks

2. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Separately. It works with your software whatever it may be. I think there is a new one coming out that is Firewire, you might want to check it out. I had some minor USB problems with my 428 when I had, nothing major.

3. thanks, what are some software packages that work well with it?

i saw this on activemusician.com but i dont know if its true in canada or not.
    "The US-428 comes bundled with a custom version of Steinberg's Cubasis VST audio recording/MIDI sequencing software"

4. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    The cubasis works pretty good for basic stuff. What kinda computer are you using and what kinda functionality do you want? Major Masterpiece stuff or Demo stuff?

5. nothing too elaborate just your basic guitar, vocals, bass, percusion stuff, my computer is relatively new 2.8 GHz pentium III.
    I just dont want to have to deal with compatibility issues between the 428 and the software.

6. thwackless

thwackless

Nov 24, 2003
    Smithfield, RI
    Hey, Bassboy,

The Cakewalk/Sonar stuff is compatible with the Tascam item, as well as any of the Cubase packages. Quite a bit will work with it. I'm using Cool Edit Pro 2.0 with mine, and the only thing CEP won't support is the Assign and one other button (I can't remember!) for which there is an alternative, 'nothing' procedure instead. And CEP will take as much simultaneously as you can get into it (got 128 tracks. Why not...) It's now called Adobe Audition...

I will say that I'm having an issue with volume: This just came on: I was fooling around with an old Yamaha drum machine (RX120) going into the US-428, and suddenly experienced a pretty quick decline in volume, down to nearly no volume at all! I got the problem fixed, but it's noticeably a bit lower overall than it was. I have to get a new motherboard, so maybe that's it. I also just got (same day) an additional 128 MB of DDR RAM. And just before this happened, I turned on the 428 with my Fostex monitors already on (oops!), and they have their own little amplifiers in 'em... So it's unclear what happened.

Otherwise, it's been fine! BUT you might look into the Event EZ-Bus, and the SI-24 bundled with a scaled-down Logic program from Roland. Good reviews on another forum with that one. Might be a few more bucks, though. Also Edirol gets good marks from Sound-On-Sound magazine for their USB controller/interface. AND, Behringer sells a couple controllers, for cheep, but you'd need a separate sound card I think.

I did some shopping before and after I got my 428, but no regrets. And the 428 can be had new for $100+ less than when I paid for mine! (I hope the issue I mentioned above won't be a 428 issue, though; but it's the first such complaint I've heard.)

Have fun in your quest!

Rog.

7. thanks for all the input guys.

8. audioripple

audioripple

Oct 8, 2002
    Don't beleive it can do everything because of the price. But I have one and I think it's perfect in it's price range. Remeber! It's TASCAM. This audo interface like a soundcard+8 channel mixer.So look at the price again. :D
    You can control the cubase, nuendo, reason, b4, of couse it's limited, and if you want you can buy a control interface.
    The only thing I think can be change is the output. I hope XLR. :bawl: