1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Tasting My Foot Again... (Fender Rumble V3 Content)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Plucky The Bassist, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead!

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    So I had a bad experience with my tube amp and the Fender Rumble 1x15 cabs in the past. Ended up selling them off and didn't care much to look at them again. Well I have a coffee shop gig with Michael Rowe coming up soon and all my amps were waaaay too big for the stage or too loud, so I decided to look at some combos that would still do ok with a low-B. I thought to myself, "Well the new Fenders are cheap and should at least get me through the gig..." and I tried one out for about all of 4 notes at a Guitar Center, it was the 1x10 combo. Handled a B ok, so I thought "Yeah I'll nab that one or the 1x12".

Traded in a Squier Jazz Bass and got the 1x12 amp unheard. Wasn't really looking to be impressed, also figured the midrange would suck on it, but I just wanted some volume and boom at this gig. Well I'm surprised I haven't knocked my teeth out yet, what with my foot being chewed on so hard LOL.

I was surprised at the bottom it had and still had midrange clarity too. I like that it's a 4-band EQ similar to my GK amps and the voicing switches are actually kinda neat. The Vintage channel is a tad too boomy, but for a lower volume situation or something where I don't want ANY clank it could probably do well. I like the bright setting for my flats-loaded custom P bass, to me that sounds more vintage. The OD channel isn't fantastic but it's not unusable either, maybe fun to fool around with from time to time.

My other test, and where the Peavey cab I'm trying to sell fell short, was how it handled dirt pedals up front. Ran my hot P bass through a Blower Box and the BBM Deluxe, sounded pretty sick, I liked it quite a bit. It's a neat little amp and 100w is pretty generous on the horsepower, also considering I have the bass knob turned down it still sounds pretty thumpy. At $270 (got a 10% discount for trade-in) I'd say it's a pretty solid combo. Only a few things I'd like to change...

- Padded input for active/hotter basses or loud effects
    - Level control on the DI
    - Maybe a blend for the OD channel (not a big deal, really)
    - Option for an 8-ohm extension cab (present on the 1x15, not the 1x12)
    - Maybe a basic built-in tuner as well
    - Side handles instead of on the top

Those gripes are me being REALLY nitpicky, also those features would likely have increased the cost of the amp, which is a good reason to leave them out if you want a straightforward combo amp...I'm assuming that's the aim with them so fair enough. Those options would have been nice, but not robbing me of the joy of this amp. So I'll compare them with some other combos I've played through in the past:

*Ampeg PF series combos - Ampegs are higher price, but higher wattage as well. You could probably play several size shows with the Ampegs, but 100w is nothing to sneer at either. Small and maybe medium gigs could easily be done with the Fender. Also, the DI means with PA support you can use it for whatever. Tonally, I'd say the Fender and this are very comparable. I think the new BA combos are a better comparison, but I haven't used those yet. The fact that the Fender can hang with the PF says a lot to me.

*GK MB Combos - Uggghhh, this is like telling your mom that your girlfriend/wife is a good cook too. No loss of love for the GK's, they are fantastic amps that are better in the hi-fi and super aggressive realm for me, they are very versatile. Cost is higher on the GKs though, so I put them in a different category. Apples and Pears if you ask me, similar but still different enough to co-exist. I don't mind roughing up the Fender, the GKs I'd be way more careful with lol

*Markbass CMD combos - Price is definitely a worthwhile consideration here lol. I think Markbass is in the same league as GK for me, they are more hi-fi than the Fender, so different animals IMO. I'd also like to point out that while the Markbass combos are ugly as a hairless gorilla, the Fender is pretty good to look at with the retro facelift they all have. For expensive the Markbass amps are, uggh they need a not bumblebee yellow color options.

*Peavey MAXBass combos - ALMOST bought one of these, especially since they beefed up the 1x10 to 100w of power. Haven't seen any around to try and didn't want to risk a sub-par low B response on the amp. I had a 1x10 previously and it was a good amp, tone was great as well, but the options just don't compare to the Fender's and the tonal options were limited. I think I just lucked out with this 1x12 combo lol.

*Old Fender Rumble combos - My first real bass amp was the Rumble 100 (1x15) complete with cheesy red light that changed brightness when you played! A little too showy for playing gigs with Mike, so I liked that this wasn't included on the new amp. Tone was ok on the first one, but that could also have been my basses and the EQing skills of a fresh 18 year old with 1.5 years of playing under his belt. From what I remember though, it wasn't a bad amp. Features on this amp are pretty sweet and this one seems to go lower than the 1x15 did. This one is DEFINITELY lighter than that old combo though, which is great for my 10 years older self lol.

All in all, if you're on a budget these are some pretty killer amps for the price. Tone is definitely good and should appeal to a large crowd of bassists. Surprisingly light, they still pack a lot of low-end and seem to be pretty solid on build quality. Plug in a good bass and see for yourself, I'd definitely say it's worth the gamble if you can't try one in person though...just beware that bass knob, it adds more than you think lol.

Hope this helped you guys out!!
    - Plucky

2. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Thanks for your review, @Plucky The Bassist. You are more than welcome to come join the fun at the Fender Rumble Club.

There are a lot of resources there to include various 'Rumble Talks' on the technical aspects of the new V3 Rumbles. Also a prime discussion on proper gain structure and a 'Tone Pool' full of user settings.

And we even have foot tenderizer ;)

Plucky The Bassist likes this.
  3. Michael B

Michael B

Dec 16, 2015
    Lowell, MA
    2nd the OD blend and side handled.

4. photogdude

photogdude ustonsucs Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, Tx
    was your jazz a red VM?

5. Plucky The Bassist

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Brown Sunburst 60's style VM. It wasn't a bad bass, just really didn't have too much use for it at the moment. If I did get a jazz later on, I'd actually prefer a different finish than 3TS. I'm really liking the Daphne Blue on my P-bass, might go for a similar baby blue on a jazz as well.

6. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Plucky you really should take your foot out of your mouth! Trust me, it really doesn’t taste that great!! :D

7. Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs?

8. Plucky The Bassist

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Yeah he ran outta dirty jobs, now he wants to get into a "dirty industry", figured music was about as dirty as you can get LOL

He got that a lot, which is why he started going by EpicMic (confidentially, he hates that name lol)

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 13, 2021