1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

TC Electronic BG250 vs GK MB 210

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by stepswork4me, Jul 21, 2012.

1. TC Electronic BG250

33 vote(s)
    66.0%
  2. GK MB 210

17 vote(s)
    34.0%
  1. Well folks... I've got a dillema. I'm in the market for one of these light weight combos and can't choose. On paper the look comparable but I've only played on the TC. What's your opinion or experience?

2. ... or maybe the ROLAND D-BASS 210?

3. kb9wyz

kb9wyz

Sep 8, 2008
    Bloomingdale,IL
    I have good experience with my GK MB115. The 210 would have been better for me if I needed the power, which I do not. But I very nearly bought that one because I liked the tone just that little bit more. I went with less money, but have not regretted it. I respect TC, but I don't feel that the money spent gives you that much more that GK. Really, I think that GK sounds better anyhow. As for transporting it, the rig I have is a total delight. The 210 dimensions are only slightly different. Easy to carry up and down stairs. Fits in the back of my Aveo with ease. Can carry it with one arm. And the Neo drivers are very wonderfully efficient, so the wattage on the lightweight rigs goes a long way. Can't say much about transporting a TC. I would think it's close to the same.

The one thing that you might consider is that GK is putting out matching powered extension cabs. They use the DI out to send signal to the ext cab, which has a DI out on it if you want to go to a board. The short of it is that you can easily bump up with a 115 extension or another 210 and kick up the output without breaking the bank as well as give yourself more flexibility for venue size. Just some thoughts.

4. Thanks kb. That's one of the things I'm looking at. The extendability, that is. The weight, dimensions, and power are similar. The TC sounds great and I can get it new vs used on the GK, so the warranty is coming into play. Also, the TC has some cool features. Damn, I'm stuck on this one.

5. smgleitch

smgleitch

May 19, 2009
    Napoleon, OH
    I have played both and really love the gk, but the tone options available thru the TC are better and more fun to play with. Just my opinion.

6. lpcarter

lpcarter Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2012
    Minneapolis, MN
    I've heard some not so great things about TC electronics rating their heads at peak levels whereas other brands rate at normal levels.

I'm talking out of my ass here, because I don't know a lot of specifics, or technical terms. Sorry. I'd look into TC on this issue a bit before taking the dive.

That being said, I use a GK MB Fusion 500, so the GK is like the little brother. I love the MB line. It's been a great head for a few years now.

7. Thanks man... I just started reading about this. I wonder if this little combo is the same? I do really dig the sound and the thing is LOUD.

8. Yeah, toneprint is a cool feature, it sounds great, and it's loud, but quite possibly doesn't have all the watts you want. If you need to be sure that you're getting every watt you're paying for (regardless of how it sounds or how loud it is), I'd say take a pass on it :meh:

9. Thanks Dr. I'm actually not too concerned with the watts as long as the volume and tone is there. The poll is a nice close race.... hmmmmmm.

10. I shall pull the trigger today or tomorrow. Anybody else have any experience? Again, thanks to all that have contributed.

11. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have the MB210, and I have come to really like this combo. I think the main thing about it is that you have to take the time to learn how to get the tone you like out of it. It works quite well, but the controls are not always intuitive. I have only played the TC electronic at GC, and I think it is a very good sounding amp for the money. I am not sold on the digital effects download capability, it strikes me as a gimmick but I'm sure some will make good use of it. IMO, the real question is whether one wants a 1x15 or 2x 10 combo.

12. Pretty sure I'm goin' with the TCE unless there is some serious convincing otherwise. Thanks again.

13. I don't know that you're going to find any definitive convincing either way. Some prefer one, some prefer the other. They're both good.

I just had a friend try mine out, and he wasn't sold on it tone-wise...just a matter of different tastes. He gigs with an Ampeg SVT Pro of some kind and a SWR 4x10. His second band plays a lot of cafe type gigs. Between the two, he liked the GK better, but neither moved him enough to even go to a small gig rig instead of lugging.

14. I convinced myself and love the TCE.

15. cnbasspat

cnbasspat

Apr 25, 2012
    South Florida
    wow, these are the same two combos i've been considering...did you end up getting the TCE?

16. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Thanks everyone for adding your comments! I'm still like the USA... 50/50 :D

17. jimraygilliam

jimraygilliam

Feb 20, 2008
    Has anyone tried the TCE with UB?