1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TC Electronic Spark opinions

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ksounds, Apr 17, 2015.

1. ksounds

ksounds

Mar 7, 2015
    Hey,

Looking for a light overdrive. How do you guys like the regular Spark? It's tone shaping options look attractive, and I like the idea of having a clean boost. The gain sounds pretty sweet in the guitar demos I've seen, and the used market price is right. All in all it looks like a great pedal. Anyone have experience they can share? Thanks!

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Fantastic pedal. I think everybody should have one of these on board. It's a clean boost, light OD, EQ, mid boost, you name it. The OD sounds like a SolidGold FX but with no mid scoop. I've been singing the praises of this pedal for a long time.

Here's a quickie clip I did a while back just showing the OD side of it:
    http://chuckamuck.com/sounds/2015/sparkjan.mp3

And the same thing A/B'd with a Fairfield Barbershop just for comparison. A stellar OD pedal but the Spark has more voicing options, can stay clean, and has the EQ.
    http://chuckamuck.com/sounds/2015/barberjan.mp3

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
    JulienP., BeauZooka and JCooper like this.
  3. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
  4. ksounds

ksounds

Mar 7, 2015
    Awesome. I'm convinced. Thanks for the soundclips!

5. Bubby Brown

Bubby Brown Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2014
    None
    It's a really cool pedal. I think that it's well worth the price for how vetsital it is. It can go from simple volume boost, to thick, to solid overdrive . The spark booster can really give your gain a nice kick.

6. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    The one I had was a bit noisy, added some hiss, but soundwise I think it was quite good.

7. ksounds

ksounds

Mar 7, 2015
    Before I pull the trigger on this, I have another question.

What I am really looking for is the kind of tone on say, Rush's "Red Barchetta". Will this pedal get in that ballpark? Or would a distortion pedal be required? I'm not asking for the exact sound, just something that I could use with my solid state practice amp. Any recommendations if the ditto doesn't provide enough dirt? Thanks guys!

8. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Not a problem. Crank up the gain and treble and you're there. It's nice and chewy.

You said 'ditto' but I know you meant 'spark' :) But if it's not enough gain then something like a Darkglass VMT would be next.

9. ksounds

ksounds

Mar 7, 2015
    Ordered! Will let you know how I like it. Thanks!