1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TC Polytune 2 display hard to read

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BklynKen, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Anyone else here find the Polytune 2 display hard to read? I know it's really bright, but I find each light in it has some amount of glare that I find the note letters really hard to read; almost blurry. Could be my mid-40s eyes, but I think I'll have to return it. I got it to replace my Boss TU-2.

2. Michael B

Michael B

Dec 16, 2015
    Lowell, MA
    I returned it. Had a similar experience (47). Also I found I could get more accurate with the tuner in my Line6 M5.

3. chris merrill

chris merrill Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist for: GHS Strings, Lakland Basses
    Mine is easy to see

4. Goatrope

Goatrope

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    Great opportunity to pick up that Sonic Research ST-300, but it won't help with the mid-40s eyes. :)

5. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    None of the above mentioned tuners have a clearer, easier to see display than the TC Polytuner. If your eyes can't focus on the little pixels though, a different type of display may be better for you. Try a Korg Pitchblack which still uses the 'older' style of displays where the letters are made up of large lines instead of small dots.

CharlieC likes this.
  6. Michael B

Michael B

Dec 16, 2015
    Lowell, MA
    In the Line6 it is not the bright LED type. It's the digital display. I am the poster child for bad eyesight. So you're right on with trying a new type of display but IMO not about your assessment of 'none of the above mentioned'.

I had the worst experience with Phone app tuners. Just not accurate for the apps I tried.

7. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I tried the Line6 but couldn't see it at all once my face got more than a foot away from the display....which you can plainly see here:

8. Michael B

Michael B

Dec 16, 2015
    Lowell, MA
    Interesting. I guess we all see it differently. Ha!

With the LED type it makes my eye wiggle when trying to focus on it.

OT:

Idea: Nearsighted American Idol. Contestants would wander aimlessly through mazes. Drive Nascar. Tractor Trailor parking in a city. Play tennis.

The grand finale: a maze with contestants simultaneously moving through a scene, shooting at targets with live ammunition.

That's a reality show I could compete in.

dave64o likes this.
  9. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Now that I would watch! :)

10. Thanks for the all the comments. It's disappointing that I can't clearly see the display. All the lights kind of jumble into one blob for me.

Lovep and Scatabrain like this.
  11. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    You don't happen to be using the Polytune BlackLight are you? The one with the blue and white display?

12. No, just the regular one with the red notes. Why do you ask?

13. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I think they had issues with the colors looking blurry on the BlackLight, and it was recently discontinued. The regular ones should be clear though.

14. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    Does it help you to set strobe mode on or off?

15. No, it's the letters themselves that I can't read.

16. crucislancer

crucislancer Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    I have a Polytune mini, and I have no problems reading the display, even with the tuner on the floor and my glasses off. I'm near-sighted, and wanted a tuner that I could see without my glasses on with it on the floor or pedalboard. I was under the impression that the Polytune 2 used the same display, or something close to it.

17. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    +1 on the Korg. Great tuner, at least for me.

18. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I guess people are way different, because the Polytune 2 is so easy for me to see, even on a hot summer day in Florida. Oh well, bag it and find one you like.

19. This. :)

20. Lovep

Lovep Supporting Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    I agree...I'm glad it's not just me. I prefer my Korg Pitchblack over my PolyTune mini. Sometimes I would find the PolyTune difficult to read...now it sits in my drawer as a backup to my other Korg backup!

Go with what works!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 8, 2021