Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TE question: GP11 vs V-type

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Burning_Sphere, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Hi!
    I've searched forum but I couldn't manage whole 42pages of TE thread :)

I'm an owner of GP11 Mk V AH150 head and 1048H cab.
    I really like the sound (especially that dirt and grit) , but due to it's solid state preamp any distortion is unwanted.

So I'm thinking of V-Type 300H. All Valve preamp with 280W solid state power amp.

Is it a good choice for playing death-metal? Can I get this vintage gp11 gritty sound with added tube overdrive?

Thx in advance

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    If you want "tube grit," you need a tube poweramp section as well as tube preamp.

3. Yes, but I cannot afford all tube amp.

I want that harsh gp11 sound but with more overdrive.
    Is V-type a good way to achieve it?

4. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I have never heard of the tone from a MkV referenced as harsh, dirty, or gritty. :confused: Trace SS amps are known for their somewhat hi-fi sound with their tradional Trace color to it.

To answer your question, no. The V-type 300H will not give you exactly what you're looking for. It definately has more of a tube tone than the MkV but not like a Trace V8 or Ampeg SVT. Personally, the 300H is a great sounding head. I wish I could justify buying one but the wife would kill me if I did!

Why not buy a stompbox to get the overdrive you need? It tends to be cheaper than buying a new head. Just a thought.

5. I don't like that pedalOD, but more vintage like dirty sound.

i call it gritty because it cuts thru death metal band and sounds like buldozer :] the strongerst clean sound I ever heard, with great midrange growl I love.

I want to get some natural tube od whit 'too much' gain

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Try a rackmount Chandler (or Tube Works) Tube Driver. This is my favorite overdrive, and it sounds like 'natural tube overdrive' - because it is! :D

Tom.

7. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I've owned the V-type 300H it should be warmer sounding for you, but you need to boost your signal to get an overdriven sound out of it. IMO the distortion sound you get from the V-type might be better sounding than you GP11 if you have a hot enough signal, but it might not sound as good as some rackmount pre's and other devices out there.

Does your 150W Trace have enough output for death metal?...

Maybe that's where your distorted SS sound your getting right now is coming from. :ninja:

8. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    All I can say is that I know there are pedals out there that will give you a natural tube overdrive sound.

The Electro Harmonix English Muff'n is one of them. You can find sound clips in the "The Big TB Sound Sample Thread" that is stickied at the top of the effects forum. BTW, it is a genuine tube overdrive as it utilizes two 12au7 preamp tubes. The Digitech Bad Monkey has some old school grit to it and there are countless other great pedals out there as well.

Well, what ever you decide, good luck!

9. My 150W does the thing (Gain 3,5; Master 3/10) because we don't play wery loud on rehearsals, and TE cab is very sensitive (101dB?).. also I use a ot of midrange to cut-thru.

As for V-Type - I've heard that changing pre-amp tubes makes overdrive better.

I've also found V4 with V8-like preamp (compression and double Gain knob)
    what does this Gain II knob do? Is it for overdriven sound?