Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Teachers in Upstate NY?

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by lostinbass, Feb 12, 2005.

1. I've been playing upright bass in bluegrass bands here in upstate NY for many years. I'm a self-taught player and am looking to broaden my horizons. I figure one of the best places to start is to learn proper technique. I know there are countless instructional books,tapes,dvds etc available but I'd like to spend some one-on-one time with a good instructor.
    Any recommendations for a teacher in the Syracuse/Utica area?

2. EFischer1

EFischer1 Guest

Mar 17, 2002
    New York, New York
    If you're looking for someone locally, the guy who is principal in the Syracuse symphony (can't remember his name) is ok.

If you're looking for something better Henry Neubert at Ithaca college is, I think, the best teacher in the area. He was my teacher and mentor for 5 years before I left for school and he is a very skilled, solid musical and technical teacher.

Best of luck.

3. delbass

delbass

Sep 9, 2003
    Albany, NY
    Another vote for Henry Neubert, I study with his younger brother Chris, who is also a great teacher. He always talks about his brother. Hope everything works out.

4. Steve Brooks

Steve Brooks

Jan 6, 2005
    upstate ny
    I live in Utica, so i can be of some service- the man to go to in Utica is Joe Karwacki, principal bassist for the Utica Symphony. Another great player in the upstate area is Dave Irvin- principal player of the catskill symphony and glimmerglass opera company. If you need #'s, get in touch with me through email.

5. Hello all and thanks so much for taking the time to reply. Hope to pursue this a little more seriously when time away from the day job, etc allows.
    Just discovered this site a couple of weeks ago, and can't believe how much I've learned already by reading the various threads and FAQs.
    I really have no expectations of ever becoming an orchestra caliber player, but would certainly like to improve my technique. Hopefully I'll get the chance to spend some time with one of the teachers you folks have mentioned and be able to kick my playing up a notch or two.