Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Teaching Lessons

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bass_drum, Mar 21, 2005.

1. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Hey guys!

I've decided to start teaching drum lessons. I'm just wonderign what is the best way to find students. Just wonderign stuff liek how well ads in news papers and such will work.

Thanks,
    ~JB~

2. The Eristic

The Eristic Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Cartersville, GA
    Going through a store is the easiest way. Posting ads in places like churches and locally owned restaurants can work well, too.

3. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Since im fairly young, I dont think I'll be able to go through a store, and also I dont really belong to a church...so I guess its to public post boards and such then eh? :D

4. The Eristic

Mar 19, 2005
    Cartersville, GA
    Age isn't a huge issue if you've got the goods and you're old enough to legally work (however, since teachers are usually treated as contractors, I wonder if that matters). I got my store teaching job at 19.

5. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    If I want tog o through a music store I gotta wait 2 years :scowl: :(

Do you think a little add in the paper or sumthing might work?

6. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Wouldn't hurt. :)

7. The Eristic

Mar 19, 2005
    Cartersville, GA
    Certainly wouldn't make your prospects worse! Give the ad a try, and keep your eyes and ears open for opportunities to publicize yourself.

8. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    How'd you go about landing that job? I've tried to here and they all same the same line, "we're not looking for teachers"

9. The Eristic

Mar 19, 2005
    Cartersville, GA
    I just walked in and started checking out some guitars. The owner came over, asked me about my musical background, then offered me a job. The store I'm at does tons of lesson biz, so it always needs more teachers. That tends to vary, depending on the area you're in. Maybe stores in your area don't have enough people asking for lessons?

10. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Actualy this kid (who was gonna take lessons from me but decided not to :spit: ) is waiting for a spot to open at a music store here...sounds good :D lol

11. JonTheBassGuy

JonTheBassGuy

Dec 12, 2004
    www.jambuddy.net Set up an account and maybe some kids will come asking for lessons.

Theres my 2 cents, done.

-Jon