Dismiss Notice

Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, get alerts, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Team Audio Fuzz Machine TAFM Buffer Dip Switches

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dannybuoy, Mar 27, 2014.

1. I just discovered that the newer TAFM's have a switchable buffer inside:

http://ilovefuzz.com/viewtopic.php?f=178&t=30941

So to anyone out there who has one of the newer layout with the pedal arranged vertically, open it up to check the DIP switches inside - they are shipped with the buffer turned ON:

Mine does not have this feature, and I much prefer the sound of it on bass with a passive bass plugged straight in. For starters, it makes the clean channel very dark, which means the clean/dirty sounds blend together seamlessly.

Hopefully this nugget of info helps some people get better tones out of theirs! :bassist:

2. aBoMoFo

aBoMoFo Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I know what I'm playing with when I get home from work! Thanks for the tip!

3. Register_To_Disable

4. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I messed with the buffer on mine when I had it and always came back to buffer on. The unbuffered version seemed to get lost a bit in the mix for my band.

5. The general consensus after reading many threads over at ILF is the buffer is more aimed at guitarists who want a brighter sound, with most bassists preferring the darker sound of the buffer off.

6. aBoMoFo

aBoMoFo Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I just went to unbuffered and like the change. The clean blend is much darker which leaves a lot more space for the fuzziness to shine. At low gain it does subtile a little less well, but at higher gain levels it's abit more of a beast.

Granted this is just playing by myself. All things might change in a band context.