Tech 21 SansAmp V1

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by Ryan Bero, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Ryan Bero

Ryan Bero

Jul 28, 2020
    Greenfield, WI
    Hi everyone, I'm brand new to this and am finally jumping on using a pedal for the first time in 15 years of playing. I'm just looking for input on how anyone who has a SansAmp, uses their's. This is my first post, so I just kinda wanted to test the waters and see what everyone's thoughts were.

knumbskull, GregC and 68Tele-Bass like this.
  2. Welcome aboard!!
    I have a couple of cheap SansAmp clones that I really like. I’ve gone ampless to a few smaller/tight gigs where I’ve just gone into DI box, then XLR out to board-
    Sound is great- you can get that SVT grunt and depth without hauling a refrigerator around....it certainly also helps color your tone even going into an amp as well, and you have the XLR out into board as well! Best of both!
    I have both the Behringer BDI 21, and the Caline “Wine Cellar”. Same circuit as the SansAmp at only $30 USD for either one. you may want to try one of these first, then flip it if you like it and want to “step up” to the SansAmp 21, or just keep it if it wor 18317341-48A5-4BF2-901E-414F9FFCDAFF.jpeg AD2F42D5-F4DB-4728-8F6E-3EB211EE4ACB.jpeg ks out for you!

knumbskull and Ryan Bero like this.
  3. Ryan Bero

Ryan Bero

Jul 28, 2020
    Greenfield, WI
    Oh wow!! I never knew you could use it like that! I really didn't put two and two together. That is awesome! Thank you for your input! I just wish I had a practice amp to plug it in when I get home. Instead my amp is at our practice spot. But thank you so much for sharing! But with buying this pedal/DI I feel like I'm opening pandora's box and am going to be delving in to more pedals. It feels like a new world has opened with my instrument, and I'm excited to see what else is out there. Have a great Friday!

68Tele-Bass likes this.
  4. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    Behringer user here too :ninja: it does a good job of emulating the original. If i ever start gigging again i might grab a v2...

anyway. Top tips that no one told me:

blend control = mid control. The Sansamp sound is naturally mid-scooped. using the blend to dial in some clean tone helps bring back your mids without losing the Sansamp growl. Noon to 3 o clock is good for me.

Presence = dial this back to tame the fizz (if you need to) and get a more amp-like sound. 9 or 10 o clock for me.

Bass/treble controls - I would go easy on these. If they are both cranked, you’re back in scoopsville. A small bump in the bass is usually all i need.

68Tele-Bass and Ryan Bero like this.
  5. Ryan Bero

Ryan Bero

Jul 28, 2020
    Greenfield, WI
    Thank you so much for sharing! I wrote that down, as I get my SansAmp today :D

knumbskull likes this.
  6. I got mine to add some ‘character’ going from an all-tube rig to SWR decades ago. It works well and adds quite a bit. All of the knobs are analog interactive and there is a lot to play with. IME, the blend knob on the box works real well into the front of the amp rather than through the effects loop, as it interacts with a tube preamp causing some rich complex tones. That scoop is just under 800 hz (below). Your EQ can compensate, if that’s what you want. Have fun! YMMV
    BDDIblend.png

knumbskull, 68Tele-Bass and Ryan Bero like this.
  7. Ryan Bero

Ryan Bero

Jul 28, 2020
    Greenfield, WI
    Whoa, that chart has me some kind of shaged up lol. I've never seen anything like that..

8. Yeah, I copied it from here on TB... some of these guys are brilliant.

Ryan Bero likes this.
  9. Thanks for posting that blend response graph! Nice to “see” what you are hearing!!

vickerekes likes this.