Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tech 21 XXL

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Billy-Bob, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Billy-Bob

Billy-Bob

Nov 4, 2005
    So Cal
    Just picked one of these up. Pretty cool pedal. Anyone have any favorite settings they'd like to share? I'm just looking to add some grit and drive on occasion and not get into serious distortion. Even tho this is being called a distortion pedal, I think it should be up to the task. :hyper:

Billy-Bob

2. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Did you get the Bass Edition or the older, silver one? I have an older one and I set the Gain at 3:00, Warp at max, Tone at 9:00 and Level to boost a little. This gives me an insano wall of distortion that'll make most people poop. I love that pedal.

3. Billy-Bob

Billy-Bob

Nov 4, 2005
    So Cal
    I have the bass version. I hope not to make anyone poop, tho...:)

Billy-Bob

4. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    OK. I'll handle making people poop all by my lonesome. Good luck with the XXL.

5. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Hey, I did a review of the XXL in this month's Bass Guitar magazine... here's the appropriate basstasters sound clips, along with the settings I used... not live on BT yet, so pardon the lack of image...

www.basstasters.com/effects/Tech21XXL.htm

6. Billy-Bob

Billy-Bob

Nov 4, 2005
    So Cal
    Very cool! Can you post your article or a link to it?

Billy-Bob

7. seventhson

seventhson Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Not meaning to troll, but do people really like that super distorted sound on a bass? Willing to be open minded...what are some songs that I may have heard that have a super distorted bass like that? I can't think of any off the top of my head, but that may be because i'm predisposed to tight, clear low end. for lack of a better analogy, like the note hits you in the chest like a rubber ball.

8. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    If it's bass on it's own (or with drums), I love it distorted (and wahed), like "Pulling Teeth" (Cliff Burton). Other than that, I can only see it being a good thing if you want to get the effect of a guitar and bass playing together. Even with my current experimentation with fuzz/wah/dist, I still have a clean fundamental to hold it all together.

9. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Hmmmm...that's one pedal I don't need. Not my bag at all. I like the warm, full OD tone I can get with my SABDDI, but the fuzzy distortion does nothing for me. I'm sure plenty of people will love it.

10. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    I ditched mine because it was too extreme without sounding very appealing. However I didn't start actively disliking it until I picked up some boutique pedals, which may or may not be a fair comparison.

11. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Listen to Mastadon if you want to hear where to se distortion like that

12. Billy-Bob

Billy-Bob

Nov 4, 2005
    So Cal
    I'd say you pretty much nailed it dead on.
    Nice review! I am really looking forward to trying this out on a couple of tunes on Friday. The gui**** probably will poop!

Billy-B

13. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None

Thanks man, I appreciate it!

14. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
  15. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician. Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    i have the drive all the way down on xxlb... and it's still grittier than the grittiest my bddi can get. i use it occasionally. the warp knob is fantastic... although i thought it was superfluous at first. but whatever tweaking i do, i always keep the drive all the way down, it seems.