Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tech21 Landmark 120 Combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by count_funkula, Oct 19, 2005.

1. I'm thinking about getting one of these combos. I've heard nothing about them so I'll be a sort of guinea pig here at Talkbass.

I'm looking for a combo that will let me get a lot of really different sounds straight out of the box. Fatness for my
    P-bass and a cleaner sound for my active axe. I also want something that I can use to test my Goodman basses in a number of settings.

I used to have the BDDI but I found when running it through the pre of my B-100R it got muddy sounding.

Just a sanity check for BDDI users. If the blend is rolled all the way off does the bass and treble function still work? If it doesn't that would be cool because I can use the pre in my active EMG equiped bass to color the sound for slapping and such.

What do you guys think? Should I go for it?

2. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Tech 21 makes great products. I'd bite the bullet and go for it!

3. Yes.

4. I'm surprised by how little interest these things seem to draw on Talkbass. Everybody loves the BDDI and the RBI but the combos just don't get people that excited.

5. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    LOL! I asked about this amp a little while back and not one response.

So......I went to the source and emailed Tech 21 directly:

The response:

Still, on paper, the amp looks to be very cool. If you can DI the amp into your band's PA or house system, then it probably rocks!

6. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Based on your needs, you should try the Roland Cube 100. It produces a huge variety of tones with the various amp models, at least some of which capture distinctive tonal aspects of the originals. For example, the "Session" model emulates an SWR rig, and it sounds like a miniature version of my Goliath III. Roland's default "Super Flat" tone is outstanding in my book, with plenty of bottom and excellent clarity without a sizzly "hi-fi" feel. It nicely conveys the many shades of my Jazz with Fralins. Separate gain and volume controls expand the options further.

It's also very loud for its wattage rating and size. I've been able to use it at rock band rehearsals, competing against drums, keys, and two guitars. We practice at modest volume, but that's a dense mix, and it's an acoustically dead space. I had headroom to spare using the on-board compressor with gain and volume at about 50%.

The effects are generally a bust for anything beyond experimenting, but for the price one can't expect much. (I was surprised though, because the effects in Roland's Cube 60 guitar amp are very good.)

I have no doubt the Tech 21 would be a good amp. I was interested in it too, but it's difficult to find. I happened upon the Roland, and was stunned by the power and depth from such a small box, so I went for it.

7. Rvl

Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    I use a Yamaha BBT500 head
    They also have a combo

The BBT500 has 11 adjustable presets plus 5 programmble channels.

Not the loudest amp and not the quietest but it is portable , good sounding and has many useable variations on tone.