Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

technical help on connecting cabinet please!

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by b-flat, May 7, 2004.

1. b-flat

b-flat

Dec 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal
    hi!

i bought an eden cx110 for an iamp350. it arrived today, but i can't make it work...

i've connected one of the speaker outputs of the iamp (1/4) to the 1/4 output on the cabinet with a normal 1/4 instrument cable.

on the cabinet i have:

2 - 1/4 outputs
    1 - pair of "banana" outputs (red and black)

it comes no sound ...the amp is working fine, so i think it is the cabinet...

am i connecting the cables wrong?

cheers

mad

2. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Instrument cable is not to be used for a connection between an amplifier and a cabinet. You need a speaker cable, which will also have 1/4 ends but the wire is larger in gauge and not shielded as an instrument cable is.

3. b-flat

b-flat

Dec 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal

i know... but theoritically speaking, shouldn't i hear a sound, even with an instrument cable?

4. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    Buy a speaker cable,you can get yourself in trouble with a regular instrument cable, if both the head and cab have neutrik speakon connections, buy a neutrik speakon cable, it would be even better

NUNO

5. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Are you interested in having your equipment work correctly are validating theoretical notions? :D Get the right cable so you can enjoy your rig.

6. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    It should be making some kind of noise with what you're doing. Try another cable before you go too nuts, though.

7. Gufenov

Gufenov

Jun 8, 2003
    I'm not real familiar with your particular equipment, so forgive me if this comes off as sarcastic, but wouldn't you connect an OUTput to an INput?

8. b-flat

b-flat

Dec 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal

sorry...hehe...i wrote wrong... i wanted to say output...

i tried everything, even bought the right cable but still doesn't work!

the iamp gives headphone signal, tuner and DI signal... i don't understand if it has something to do with the outputs on the back, but the rig doesn't work.

i tried to connect the headphones out or the tuner to the cab and still gives no signal!
    but when i connect the same outputs to the mixing desk...it works...

i really going NUTS!

9. b-flat

b-flat

Dec 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal

INput!

oh my god INput!

see? i'm going nuts.... still doesn't work...

10. bill spangler

bill spangler

Mar 4, 2001
    Albany GA
    I have two CX-110's. Get or buy a digital multimeter or (so-called volt/ohm meter). The "banana" inputs on the cab will be handy in this case. Set the meter on "ohms" and put a test lead on the metal part of each of the banana inputs. The meter should read 4 to 16 or so ohms. If it reads zero or you get a blinking display, then there's some wrong with the speaker cab...most likely easy to fix though.

Go ahead and test your cables: place the red lead on one tip and the black on the other tip, it should read zero. Do the same with the metal shanks, again you should read "zero". Now do one lead on the tip with the other lead on a shank, you should have either a blinking screen or infinite resistance. If the tip and shank reading is zero, then you have a short circuit in your spkr cable.

i bought an eden cx110 for an iamp350. it arrived today, but i can't make it work...

i've connected one of the speaker outputs of the iamp (1/4) to the 1/4 output on the cabinet with a normal 1/4 instrument cable.

on the cabinet i have:

2 - 1/4 outputs
    1 - pair of "banana" outputs (red and black)

it comes no sound ...the amp is working fine, so i think it is the cabinet...

am i connecting the cables wrong?

cheers

mad[/QUOTE]

11. b-flat

b-flat

Dec 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal
    ok... i think i got it...

the outputs of the iamp don't work... what else can be?? the speaker is fine, the cables are fine!

can't seem to find any logical solution...

do you know why this maybe happening? did blow out a fuse? how does this work?

cheers

12. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Drag everything up to your local music store. There you'll have enough stuff to eliminate everything that works and identify the thing that doesn't.

13. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I don't have an iamp 350, but I do have an iamp800. On the 800, there's a little white button down beneath the parametric EQ which turns the speaker outs on and off - it's on the right hand side, slightly to the left of the the Direct Out control. Look at This link, and see if your 350 has the same preamp features as the 800. If so, look at the "Tone Shaping" section, and you'll find the speaker "on/off" button right over the "Bright" contour button.

Good luck.

14. b-flat

b-flat

Dec 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal

hi chris!

i already turned it on and off... do you think it's possible that the speaker outputs damaged? if so, what could be the cause?

cheers

15. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Chris is talking about a small white button, the last small white button in the tone shaping block is the bright button, the speaker on/off button is above that one.

16. b-flat

b-flat

Dec 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal

i know.... and that button i already turned on and off!

i think it's the speaker outputs... i will go to my local music store to find out...

tks anyway!

17. b-flat

b-flat

Dec 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal
    hi again...

finally talked to gary on EA and his sending me a new powerboard. the one that i had got a problem so this week i'll have the problem solved :D

cheers to everyone!

mad