1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Technique not gear

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by Al Smith, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Here is two cents about my "new" "technique" for "self improvement". When using my metronome I try to use the "least frequent" click to keep track of meter.

In other words 16th notes happen "8" to a click.

Does anyone have other general techniques for improvement that do not fit in the "gear" category? -Al

2. Another metronome trick would be to instead of letting the "tick" be on the one of each measure it’s on the three. Or an even more advance technique, let it be on the and.. as in one and two and three and... you get the picture.

3. prelims222

prelims222

Sep 20, 2004
    Southeast US
    Best trick (as taught by a number of prominent players)

Set your metronome so it clicks 1 and thats it

Then try so it only clicks 1 time every two measures.

Or every 3 or 4 measures depending on the line.

If you are losing or gaining tempo, this will expose that better than just playing along with a Dr. Beat clicking every little subdivision.

It's also useful for thinking of music in larger segments (for instance the midsummer nights dream scherzo).