1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Telecaster Basses 1968-1971 pickguard mystery

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by boroman, Apr 29, 2019.

1. boroman

boroman

Apr 27, 2009
    boro
    Screenshot 2019-04-29 at 20.26.04.png

I have been digging a lot for the info about these basses and what seemed strange is pickguard for the single coil tele basses made between 1968-1971 only. Pickguard "disintegrates" killing/oxidizing metal parts like pickup, strings & frets. I found dozen info about that over the internet. It seems that metal shield (?) on the back side of the pickguard is causing the problem and it did witin first years since new, so probably no original pickguard survided to this day. There are repros and relic'd parts that emulate the original (so that's the ones that sellers probably use and say that basses are 100% original - but they are not). I think they sortet it out in 1972 when humbucker one came out. I don't remember mine (it was 10 years ago) but I think I'm sure it did not have the metal shield.

- does any of you have original 68-71 tele bass pickguard?
    - were there any black pickguards available back then as a custom order? Mine has black pickguard and looks old, the shade under that is identical to the pickguard

pic:
    Screenshot 2019-04-29 at 20.26.04.png

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    okabass and wvbass like this.
  2. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I have no knowledge to offer here. Still, it is an interesting topic and worth a bump to see if anyone knows anything about this.

3. Gunga Din

Gunga Din

Jun 22, 2018
    Surely has something to do with the % of nitro content as that stuff is essentially an acid?

4. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Having owned a few Tele basses all had original pickguards. They were white w/ pearloid backs, not metal. The acetate pearloid would “gas” over time and if left without room to vent the gassing would oxidize metal parts and disintegrate.

All mine were intact but did shrink over time.

5. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    This was my understanding as well. Kept in a case, no where for it to gas-off so things around it got ruined.

okabass likes this.
  6. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    As stated, the pearl and the white celluloid decomposed just as it did on so many old archtops. I've never known a Tele bass to have an aluminum shield, which wouldn't have caused the problem anyway, and they all came with white guards.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  7. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    The single ply whites were made of the stuff and imploded like my '68 , luckily it did not take out the pickup they they often do . I was able to clean it up and bought a simple replacement off reverb

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

okabass, Hank Scorpio, Axstar and 2 others like this.
  8. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    don't let those pics fool you it was a mess , almost as bad as that op pic . It had some nasty toxic fuzz all over it and it eats metal . It works into the higher frets and everywhere it could get . I spent a lot of time bringing it back . I don't recall it having a pearl back but I can check later . iirc only the 50's P bass "tele" slabs had the black p/g . also the case is stinky but cat loves it
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DeliriumTremens likes this.
  9. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    I have 'The Fender Bass' book by Hal Leonard. It has a picture of a fragmented Telecaster bass pickguard that killed the strings, screws and upper frets on the bass. It split exactly like @fretno's bass.

The pearl-backed pickguard blank stock was used for Stratocaster pickguards as well though, oddly, I've never heard of a Strat pickguard off-gassing. It happens to some Gibson 'archtop' pickguards where they used faux tortoiseshell. The gas attacks gold plating.

Presumably the pearl-backed stuff was originally intended to be displayed pearl-side up as a compliment to the tort pickguards (tort for basses, pearl for guitars?) but this never went anywhere. Fender's parsimonious brilliance dictated, presumably, that they simply recycled the stock by flipping it over.

10. boroman

boroman

Apr 27, 2009
    boro
    Thanks for the pics fretno - that really is what was looking for. And yes, the material is NOT the celluloid or antyhing they made before. The old pickguards shrink and bend and are flammable, but does not anything wrong to metal parts.

So, my initial thoughts were right - no original 68-71 one survived to this day?

11. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    I think I read that it is the Case Queen basses that end up gassing off and doing damage.

12. That is an incredibly gorgeous bass! Good work. Set off my GAS for a Tele bass all over again..

fretno likes this.