telecaster input jack

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Sonic_Death, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Hello, I have a 1968 Fender Telecaster, and the input jack and the casing around it is very loose and spins around. This doesn't really affect the sound but it is quite annoying that it is not staying. I have tried to tighten it with my hands and that works temporarily but I don't know what to do. A wrench and things of that sort do not fit in it at all. Anyone have suggestions because I really don't want to take this to a shop just for that. Thanks
  2. A "socket."

There is a company that makes a better jack, it's all one piece and it's a good quality piece, but the name escapes me...
  3. StewMac has a tool for tightening the retainer clip- if that's loose.

Here's the cup I was referring to in the last post-,_parts/Bass:_Covers_plates/Electrosocket_Jack_Plates.html

The jack screws directly into the cup, you don't need to take out the retainer clip either, just put the jack through the clip, then screw on the cup and attach the 2 screws that hold the cup in place. If you're concerned about the "vintageness" of your guitar, it's only 2 screw holes, inside the hole for the existing jack.
  4. The screw in cup is easier to work with but not authentic.

The other thing to do is to reinstall the cup. You might need to replace the little clawed piece of metal that "braces the cup in the route, it tends to bend out of shape. What I do is take the claw and grasp it with a pair of pliers at a downward angle so it slides in the hole, then push the top of the claw into the wall and push the pliers forward and down thus raising the bottom of the claw into position. Of course you have to do this a few times to get the depth right (I do anyway). the cup should sit flush with the body on top of the claw. then you have to push the input jack up from the bottom, slide the cup over, hold in place and bring down the nut. tighten with a socket wrench holding the input jack in place.

Or just get the cool tool from stew mac that just pops it all in place no sweat.