1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tell me about the SVT pro II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 68Goldfish, Feb 19, 2008.

1. 68Goldfish

68Goldfish Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Port Orchard WA
    I've searched the whole of TB and googled untill my eyes bled. I couldn't find a SVT II pro appreciation thread. Let me hear, first hand from all the II pro owners. I'm really gassing for one.:bassist:

2. Sorry I own a SVTII not a IIpro. But the II is GREAT!!!! I did like the 2PRO when I used one at a gig tho. The drive control was fun!

3. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    Are these amps still in production?

4. The SVT 2-Pro is, the SVT-II isnt

5. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    The USA SVT-2 Pro is my all-time favorite amp. Man, there isn't a tone that I can't get with that amp! I've A/B'ed mine with my old '72 SVT. Through multiple cabs I liked the 2 Pro much better. It was punchier, louder, cleaner, and more versatile.

6. Frankie Fender

Frankie Fender Supporting Member

Does the 2 pro have a drive knob?

7. Yup

8. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Ampeg didn't seem to cut corners with this amp, either. I'm sure you other (USA) 2 Pro owners have noticed how heavy it is. Check out those transformers on the inside--powerhouses! Upon opening mine up and doing a quick inspection of the goods, I found that the soldering was top notch, the components were first quality, and the design layout was flawless. The built-in, end-user-adjustable bias control is also very nice. It can save some money; you don't have to take your amp to someone like me to get it biased. The chassis is very rugged and has a very durable paint job on it. To make a long story short, I have rarely seen modern tube amplifiers that are built to that kind of standard. My Mesa 400+ comes in at a close 2nd, though. :)

9. The pro is lighter than the older II. Which is pretty amazing. Def. backbreakers :)

10. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    It's heavy, and I really appreciate the EQ ability of it. Gotta love graphic EQs...

I'd like to see an in-depth comparison of the 2-Pro the CL and the VR someday on here.

The best one I can come up with is that the 2-Pro is more marketed towards techies and people that like to mess with their sound.

The CL and VR are packaged conveniently and are made for those that just want to plug right in and get a tone that's not too tweakable.

IMHO ;)

11. 68Goldfish

68Goldfish Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Port Orchard WA
    Cool info guys. I'm wondering what exactly the drive knob does. Is it similar to when you push the preamp to hard with an active bass in the non active input? The main reason I'm gassing for the amp is that I saw this live Heart show on TV and the bass player (Mike Inez) was using a two pro and he had this totaly cool sounding grind or grit or whatever you call it.

12. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    The drive is your basic preamp input volume. If you push it hard enough, you'll get some distorted break-up. The "Ampeg Tone" comes from pushing the master a bit, though.

13. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I used to have a 2Pro. Very loud, and sounded great, but it's been a while so I can't recall the particulars. There are those that prefer the older non-Pro, but I have no experience with those so I can't comment. If you like the familiar Ampeg fuzzy mushiness but want that to be controllable, and want a decent clean tone out of the same amp, it's a great choice.

14. Bob Moulton

Bob Moulton Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2006
    Ypsilanti, MI
    I've always been interested to know the differences in tone between the 400+ and SVT-2 Pro. I had an SVT MTI era, SVT-CL and now a Mesa 400+. While I love my 400+, I've always wondered how it would compare with the SVT-2 Pro and for that matter the non-pro. I have never played through either.

15. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    My SVT-II has always had much fuller low-mids and seemed to sound great in the mix with my bands on most any stage with my normal (near-centered) tone knob settings.

I always liked my 400+ (w/full JJ's) but it had me constantly tweakin knobs trying to get comfortable with its sound. Shortly after getting mine, I modded it with power-tube lift switches because It seemed to work so much better at very loud volume levels, But this mod didn't really accomplish my goal.

Mine has always seemed to sound somewhat grainy and lacked the strong low-mids I craved. I also had trouble taming it's somewhat harsh upper register sounds without its overall tone becoming to dull.

Psychos 400+ mods ended my knob tweaking and the graininess. Its transformed mine into much more of a plug and play amp that just flat works way better in every way. It still doesn't sound or work like my SVT-II, but it does have its own voice and vibe that I really like now. Its now got a much fuller sound and a very tight punchy response thats simply amazing.
    My current favorite leans towards the SVT, but it actually comes down to which ever one I'm playing at the moment.

16. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    I am gassing for an SVT-2 Pro. I currently have an 8 ohm cabinet though, so short term it'll probably be for home practicing til I get a bigger, 4 ohm cabinet which I can take to a jam and be loud. NV610 is looking like a good match, or possibly the Ampeg 610.

17. JonathanD

JonathanD

Dec 13, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    :)

18. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    ?????

Anyway...
    My SVT-2 Pro sounds very similar to the SVT-CL that I used to have. It does also sound a bit more "modern" than my old '72 SVT. The differences between the CL and 2 Pro are the key. The 2 Pro has endless EQ features, is rackmountable, weighs ten pounds less, is smaller, has an effects loop, and has more tubes. Of course, it costs about $100 more than the CL, too.

In comparison to my 400+, the 2 Pro outshines it in almost every category. The 2 Pro has grit and growl, it can clean up nicely, has more tonal variety, and is able to be biased by the user. The 400+, though it doesn't win those last categories, it does have a better crystal-clear tone, it weighs quite a bit less, and is simple to use. Both of these amps seem to get up to the same volume through the same cabs; they're equal in that department.

19. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    Anyone have any demos of the SVT 2 Pro?

20. +1 :hyper: