Tell me about your band!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Alex, Dec 30, 2005.

1. I was listening to the Lord Only song from John Turner's sig the other day, and started to get interested in all the little bands that people on TB are in. I'm especially interested in innovative stuff where the bass is prominent. Kinda like that Lord Only song....

Sound clips and band websites would be nice.

I'm in a Jazz band that does mostly covers of Funk or Jazz stuff (think TOP - singer) and an ever evolving medley of people that does funk/metal/rock/fusion stuff. No websites or sound clips, sorry :bag:

So, Tell me about YOUR band! (And if you guys have a CD out or anything)
  2. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    The band I am in now is still in the formative stages. We are trying to achieve a Roots style live hip-hop band. We currently have bass, guitar, drums, and a two MC rotation. We are still looking for a percussionist.
  3. My band is called A Troop of Echoes. Our website is here.

We do have an EP out. They're supposedly $5, but if someone wants one just PM me.
  4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    We are experiemental funk.. and whatever, .
  5. We are a three-piece, with our frontman/singer also alternating between guitar and keys.

We have a focus on really strong songwriting, harmonies and overall arrangement (think sorta Crowded House).
  6. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I've got a band together that hasn't jammed yet, but it's going to be progfusion. It's just a 3 piece, and it's gonna be a lot like Liquid Tension Experiment.
  7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I am in a cover band. It is just fine but I doubt you want to hear our version of Thin Lizzy.

I dug the 'Lord Only' disc.
  8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I gig with three cover bands, and sub regularly for a few others. Nothing remarkable to talk about except for the fact that they're nice guys (and gal), and I enjoy playing everything from early Grand Funk to Motown/R&B to current hits by Santana, Nickelback, Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Oh: one of the bands I sub with has a five piece horn section and the keyboardist brings a real Hammond organ with Leslies. It's a blast to be a part of that!
  9. JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    I recently joined the Z.Isaac Band,a Blues/rock band.I'm too new to have any pictures on the web site yet,all the pics have their old bass player.
  10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    That song is awesome for sure, but if you ever get a chance to listen to John play in his basement, you will walk away amazed. Like many of you, I have seen all of the "big stars" of bass playing live in concert. For me, John fits right in with them.

My band? We call ourselves Triple Shot, and we play coffee shops around Puget Sound. It is a jazz trio. The hard rock cover band I used to be in put out a CD of covers. It was recorded in one night with a four track recorder in a living room. Live, raw music. :eek:

11. It's in the sig. ;)

It's still getting started, but It doesn't sound too bad. :smug:
  12. blujax01

Nov 16, 2005
    I play drums for Code Blue (and am learning to play bass for fun.)

We play quite a few originals and blues rock covers. The title cut from "The Wrong Side of Town" is featured on The Best Of Columbus Blues Volume 2. Although it's a standard blues shuffle, we play a lot of funk, modern blues and one-off's. Like our version of Bone Shaker's version of James Brown's "Cold Sweat". Our version of Rick Derringer's version of whoever originally did "Little Bit" (I think it was written by Steve Miller). Our version of Buddy Miles version of "Them Changes". You get the idea.
    Chris Duarte, Tommy Castro and Jeff Healey also contribute to our play list as well as SRV, Hendrix and ZZ top. Oh yeah, we throw in a little Deep Purple (Maybe I'm A Leo) just to see if anyone's paying attention.
    We play out 4-5 times a month. The previous two CD's were recorded with the old drummer and I will be in studio with the band for the next CD in January.
    We range in age from 26 to 56 so there's a lot of energy and experience.
  13. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    My band is changing direction a bit right now. We were doing classic rock covers (think....Deep Purple..Aerosmith....Foriegner...etc) with two guitar players who both sang, myself, and a drummer. One guitar player, who also happened to do about 75 percent of the lead vocals, moved out of State, so we just picked up a female singer, who has a ton of experience in doing disco, pop, and big band stuff. We are adding
    a bunch of pop and slower stuff that suits her, and until she is fully up to speed with everything, doing about half the night with her, and half the night as a trio with the remaining guitarist singing.
  14. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    My band as yet does not have a name, but we'll be starting to gig as much as possible in Boston next semester. We're all Berklee students. Our style is somewhere in between jam band, swing, funk, and latin jazz.

I'll be promoting once we get some MP3's up, my guitarist has been lazy with that. :p
  15. My current teacher went to Berklee. He's a beast.

Man, I'm scared to think of what a WHOLE BAND of Berklee kids can do...
  16. ...dream theatre. 'nuff said. :smug:

make of that what you will....
  17. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY

18. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I'm not gigging Passing Wind right now, but I will be again soon. You can follow the links in my profile for clips, bios, etc. The band is usually a duo, or sometimes a trio, and bass is completely upfront most of the time. I play a little guitar and guitar synth, but it's mainly about fretless and slide bass with drums, lots of textural, processed stuff, and scary-mutant vocals and lyrical concepts. I don't have clips of any long instrumental pieces online at the moment, but that's actually our forte.

In my current gigging band I play jazz standards on electric upright, nothing newer than the 60s, and mostly much older material. Go figure... :cool:
  19. bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    My band is more of a bluesy rock jam band, although I bring some standards in sometimes, they kind of get pushed aside.
  20. my band sucks, im about to leave i think