1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tell Me Somethin' Good

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Jason Hollar, May 11, 2006.

1. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    Was hoping to post this on the BG side -- but wasn't sure if there was a music topic there...

I'm learning Tell Me Something Good by Rufus for my cover band...

I've got all the notes/chord changes no problem...just having trouble counting the "time" between the verse and chorus.

The chorus sounds "in time" and the verse sounds "off the beat"

Does anyone have a chart on this tune -- or can anyone offer some insite on how to "count" the off beat chorus groove?

Dang -- didn't think I was this rhythmically challenged! :rolleyes:

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    What's to count? You're in the same time feel. All that happens is that the melody switches to upbeats (the "and").

Maybe I don't understand the question...

3. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    Thats exactly right. The verse notes are on the upbeat. Untill the end of the vocal phrase where she holds the note and they straighten out.

Every band I've played this in the bass and drums get it right and the vocalist and guitarist fall on their faces. Its in those moments where I really hate "the singer is always right".

Great tune. Problem is that the tune rarely goes over on the gig even if you play it right. It's a fire drill tune. Sends em off the dance floor to the exits.

4. Jason Hollar

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    Yeah -- this is one of those "feel" tunes.

We ran it at a practice this evening and it's working much better. Just was having trouble hearing where the "one" was in the verse...sounds all backwards to me...but not in a cool reggae kind of way.

I sure hope this one doesn't clear the dance floor -- but I guess we'll see this weekend!

Man, I can totally hang on Giant Steps, Donna Lee, etc. Sometimes these funky tunes is just too funky for me!

5. Jason Hollar

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    Just got June's BP magazine -- with this tune in the Woodshed column.

As I suspected, there's a good deal of syncopation going on with the bass line in the verse groove...where it doesn't land squarely on the "one" in key places.

I usually can figure most stuff out by ear -- but it's nice to see a chart on something like this to put into perspective.

Played the tune Sunday at our regular club gig and it went over well. Haven't done it for a dance party yet!