1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Temperature fluctuations/stability

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by chicabass, Apr 24, 2006.

1. chicabass

chicabass

Mar 18, 2006
    NOT USA
    I recently (temporarily) installed a thermometer on my bass. so I could accurately gauge the kind of temperature fluctuations that it might be experiencing from time to time.

My question: How much of a change is 'substantial', and how much would the change have to be before I worry about the immediate health and longer-term life of the bass?

Sorry if this was the wrong heading (setup/repair) to have put this under.

chicabass/K`

2. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    Temperature change is of less concern than humidity change, which causes wood to expand and contract. In fine museums you will see instruments which graph humidity changes for the purpose of guiding the curators toward keeping humidity levels constant. When Tutunkamen's tomb was opened, after 3000 or so years, all the wooden objects were in pristine condition, and their glue joints were still tight. That's because the humidity was constant the entire time. That said, extreme temperature variations can also cause some problems.

3. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    I hear Tutunkamen used Dampits.

4. polic

polic

Apr 11, 2006
    Hey chicabass,
    though all the woods on the bass are effected with the change in the environment, the neck is what suffers the most. That's why I chose a graphite neck for my 4-string. Yes, the sound production is very different from wood, but it is not subject to the environment hence the no warping. But that's just me...

5. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Please teach us how and why the neck is effected more than the Top and the Back of the Bass!! I need to hear this! I have never seen a Double Bass Neck split from extra dry weather but I have seen alot of Tops split. The Neck is replacable without value loss to the Bass at all. The Top is the Heart of the Bass and the key value componant.

Maybe you are thinking Guitars, no?

6. chicabass

chicabass

Mar 18, 2006
    NOT USA
    Sorry all, I am talking about how different temperatures might affect my double bass.

Just to clarify.

chicabass/K`

7. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Is this for indoor, outdoor or in general. The higher the tempeture, the more humidity it can hold. Heat in the winter in your house dries up the air. Air conditioners in the summer cool while extracting water from the air acting as a de-himidifier so my AC/Heating guy tells me. This is why the AC drips outside your window. A humidifier or dehumidifier with control settings indoors can help to regulate the environment for your Bass.

8. chicabass

chicabass

Mar 18, 2006
    NOT USA
    Really just inside my pokey little flat at the moment - It gets really draughty but I have a nice heater which I've been using as it gets colder. I want to be conscious of not overdoing it with the heater/having the heat fluctuate by ~X degrees too regularly... I can't think it would necessarily be doing the poor instrument any good.

9. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Get a humidifier and set it at 35% on automatic. This will help a great deal to prevent you Bass from cracking.

10. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    You misread this somewhere. King Tut had Damp Pits.

11. musicman5string

musicman5string Banned

Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, but that cat swung like a mother****er.

Have you checked out the sides he did with Amenhotep and Thutmose? Smokin........

12. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    yep--albert ammonhotep and thutmose allison

13. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Polic- this is the Double Bass side of Talkbass...