1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tempo on Handel's Largo

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Beginner Bass, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Beginner Bass

Beginner Bass

Jul 8, 2009
    Round Rock, TX
    A&R, Soulless Corporation Records
    My school has a solo-ensemble competition coming up. My solo is Handel's Largo from Xerxes. I need a good tempo I can set a metronome too to practice with. I have found everything from 56-64 BPM. Sorry, I'm (as you can probably tell) new to the DB forum.

2. neilG

neilG

Jun 15, 2003
    Ventura, CA
    Is this the piece? I'm not familiar with a bass transcription of it.

3. Michael Glynn

Michael Glynn

Feb 25, 2004
    Seattle
    I would probably err on the faster side, especially if you are something of a beginner as your user name indicates. That piece can sound really great slow, but it can also kind of die if not handled well. At the faster end of your range it has a little feeling of forward motion, while at the slower end it almost has an out-of-time feel. If you play really beautifully and expressively the slow tempo might work great, but you might risk putting the judges to sleep.

You might be interested to know that in the original opera, the piece is actually marked "larghetto" which is a little faster than largo.

4. Beginner Bass

Beginner Bass

Jul 8, 2009
    Round Rock, TX
    Thanks Michael. I think I'll go with faster. I am a relative beginner, as I'vo only been playing about 1.5 yrs.

And Neil, yes, that is the one.

5. Beginner Bass

Beginner Bass

Jul 8, 2009
    Round Rock, TX
    Had to take it up to about 70 due to time constraints for the performance.

6. Matt Ides

Matt Ides Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN