Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Nuk3m, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Nuk3m

Sep 18, 2004
    Down Under
    Id like to make my adjust the tention on my bass somehow and make it tighter?

Does anyone know how do to this apart from get the special strings?

And also what do i have to take into account when i do it?

Such as mgiht it worp my bass neck?
  2. odie

odie Supporting Member

Do you mean tension?? As in string tension.
  3. Nuk3m

Sep 18, 2004
    Down Under
    yep, sorry should have pointed it out.
  4. heavier gage strings will require more tension to hold the same tone (basic string physics). Obviously, additional tension will put more force on the neck (yes, the truss rod will most likely require an adjustment).

Whenever you change to a different gage string, the intonation will generally change, as well. So be prepared to tweek the bridge saddles, too.

Look...it's not hard, if you understand the basic concepts. If you have a mate who's done this sort of stuff before, have him give you a hand.

By all means, give it a try...you learn by doing...that's what I always say (well...almost always ;) )
  5. Pilby has pointed out the ONLY way to achieve a higher tension without tuning up. There are only 3 things that affect the tension of a given string...

Length (closely related to tuned pitch)
    Tuned pitch
    Gauge of string (mass)

If you've been told that more "break" angle over the nut or saddles increases tension, you were told wrong. Nothing before the saddle or after the nut had that affect. Longer scale basses have a bit more tension, especially in the lower strings, because the additional string mass requires more tension to raise it's pitch to proper tune.